Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the Casio FX-991EX allowed in Edexcel A-Level Math exams!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused because it says in the syllabus that calculators with 'symbolic' integration are not allowed, yet nearly everyone uses a Casio FX-991ES which clearly has an integration function! So whats the deal? I know graphing calculators are not allowed but is the Casio FX-991EX allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleBroflovski)
    I'm confused because it says in the syllabus that calculators with 'symbolic' integration are not allowed, yet nearly everyone uses a Casio FX-991ES which clearly has an integration function! So whats the deal? I know graphing calculators are not allowed but is the Casio FX-991EX allowed?
    Most invigilators don't have a clue, so you will get away with it (If it happens to not be allowed). But look at your specific exam board for details.

ReputationRep:
    Graphing calcultors are allowed, as is the fx991. The integration button is purely numerical (i.e. it can only do definite integrals) which isn't the same as symbolic integration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Graphing calcultors are allowed, as is the fx991. The integration button is purely numerical (i.e. it can only do definite integrals) which isn't the same as symbolic integration
    so symbolic integration is just integration where it pops out the whole expression with a + c at the end, not just the definite number?

ReputationRep:
    so symbolic integration is just integration where it pops out the whole expression with a + c at the end, not just the definite number?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_integration

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so it would tell you the integral of x is x^2/2 +c. Graphing calculators are allowed but if you get one be careful as quite a lot do have the capability to do symbolic integration which is why a decent number are banned from exams

ReputationRep:
    Crap, I feel dumb. Thank You xD so the calculator is allowed then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Yeah so it would tell you the integral of x is x^2/2 +c. Graphing calculators are allowed but if you get one be careful as quite a lot do have the capability to do symbolic integration which is why a decent number are banned from exams
    I'm getting this calc https://edu.casio.com/products/cwiz/fx991ex/ ,its not a graphing clac so i should be safe and I'm pretty sure it's allowed then because It does regular numerical integration like any other normal scientific calc.

ReputationRep:
    I've used the Casio FX-991ES on every single edexcel exam that i sat and no one said a thing. In fact everyone in my class used it. And as someone pointed out, most invigilators don't have a clue, one of my friend brought a graphing calculator and when the invigilator spotted it, he just asked if it was allowed and my friend told yes, and that nothing happened :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adnankaize)
    I've used the Casio FX-991ES on every single edexcel exam that i sat and no one said a thing. In fact everyone in my class used it. And as someone pointed out, most invigilators don't have a clue, one of my friend brought a graphing calculator and when the invigilator spotted it, he just asked if it was allowed and my friend told yes, and that nothing happened :P
    anyone tell me how they'll give you an advantage like I'm doin c3 n c4 again & I didn't use one last time, did I miss out or? I can see it making it easier because it draws the equation for you but other than that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's allowed. It doesn't have symbolic integration. I've used it without problem for GCSE and AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    anyone tell me how they'll give you an advantage like I'm doin c3 n c4 again & I didn't use one last time, did I miss out or? I can see it making it easier because it draws the equation for you but other than that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Allow you to check answers, but if you can't get that far, they are useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    Allow you to check answers, but if you can't get that far, they are useless.
    ohhh yh thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.