What pieces would you love to play? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Name your instrument and mention if there are any pieces you'd like to be able to play. Perhaps mention how far off you are from that goal.

For me, the pieces I'd like to be able to play are
    Chopin's Ballade in G minor
    Chopin's Nocturne in C minor
    Chopin's Etude in A minor (op 25 no 11)
    Chopin's "Black Key" Etude
    Chopin's "Wrong note" Etude
    Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
    Bach's Partita no 6 in E minor
    Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no 2
    Mozart's piano concerto no 20

There are other pieces but these are the ones I definitely would like to play. I'm currently still learning. Probably at least 10 years off but I do plan to give a reasonable performance of each some day.

ReputationRep:
    i want to play smoke on the water on bass but its too hard :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    i want to play smoke on the water on bass but its too hard :c
    I can play the guitar and bass parts for that! Why are you struggling to play it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amellia123)
    I can play the guitar and bass parts for that! Why are you struggling to play it?
    hahaha I was joking lol, because it's like the first thing everyone learns

ReputationRep:
    Whiplash - drums

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's why I asked why, because its literally the easiest to play

ReputationRep:
    Cello

I want to be able to pay the Swan by Saint-Seans, I think it's actually a pretty simple piece and I remember attempting it a few years back at Juniors but I've been out of playing for a while and I think that's one my goal pieces

Piano here

I'd love to play the Waldstein sonata (Beethoven's Number 21 in C major) at full speed. Can currently play it at about half. Hoping to have it cracked by the end of the year, but it's the toughest piece I've ever tried to crack.

ReputationRep:
    I wanna play what this guy is playing and also arrival of the birds

(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Name your instrument and mention if there are any pieces you'd like to be able to play. Perhaps mention how far off you are from that goal.

For me, the pieces I'd like to be able to play are
    Chopin's Ballade in G minor
    Chopin's Nocturne in C minor
    Chopin's Etude in A minor (op 25 no 11)
    Chopin's "Black Key" Etude
    Chopin's "Wrong note" Etude
    Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor
    Bach's Partita no 6 in E minor
    Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no 2
    Mozart's piano concerto no 20

There are other pieces but these are the ones I definitely would like to play. I'm currently still learning. Probably at least 10 years off but I do plan to give a reasonable performance of each some day.
    On Piano? Flight of the bumble bee...swan lake (will learn it when I have the time) but really I think I already have a fairly large repertoire....

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's why I asked why, because its literally the easiest to play
    I barely even play bass actually, I'm a guitarist.
    I am struggling on trying to nail alternate picking at the moment though, my hands refuse to work together at that speed

ReputationRep:
    On guitar,

Für Elise
    Flight of the Bumblebee (I've learnt it but I can't play it at 220 BPM lol)
    For the Love of God - Steve Vai
    Satch Boogie - Joe Satriani
    Evil Eye - Yngwie Malmsteen
    Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
    ...and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't spring to mind

Easy to learn, but insane to perfect! Ritchie Blackmore is a beast.

(Original post by Student403)
    Whiplash - drums
    Metallica? DX

ReputationRep:
    I barely even play bass actually, I'm a guitarist.
    I am struggling on trying to nail alternate picking at the moment though, my hands refuse to work together at that speed
    My number one is guitar, but I took up bass as well because my cousin enjoyed it. I have really small hands so have to tab most songs to suit my playing style
    I don't know if this is common practice or not, but I find it easier not to use a pick as it just gets in the way (I don't know if you do/don't)
    What guitar do you play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Whiplash - drums
    St Anger on Drums :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't play an instrument, but I'd like to learn to play the violin and then play lux äterna on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    On flute, Suite Antique by Rutter I've been able to play it all except the last couple of bars for several years which is really annoying! Bach's Sonata G Minor I can play on sax but would be really nice on flute, isn't particularly hard I just need to get round to doing it. Godard's Waltz (can't remember what it's actually from) I can play but not particularly well or up to speed. That and stuff like Moto Perpetuo and Flight of the Bumblebee a lot faster just because they sound cool, flight of the bumblebee I'm pretty good on though- it's all just chromatic. They're not actually that nice but whatever :lol:

In general I really need to get back into playing both instruments and listening to stuff again so any suggestions are welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My number one is guitar, but I took up bass as well because my cousin enjoyed it. I have really small hands so have to tab most songs to suit my playing style
    I don't know if this is common practice or not, but I find it easier not to use a pick as it just gets in the way (I don't know if you do/don't)
    What guitar do you play?
    I have a fairly crap stratocaster rip off atm, I plan to get this though

I occasionally finger pick on my acoustic, but I can't really do it on my electric because I prefer to play metal.

ReputationRep:
    I have a fairly crap stratocaster rip off atm, I plan to get this though

I occasionally finger pick on my acoustic, but I can't really do it on my electric because I prefer to play metal.
    That looks awesome!!! I have a fender strat copy, but replaced all the cheap pick-ups and tone/vol pots. I also have a telecaster (has a better sound than a strat imo)
    Haha how can you have an electric guitar and not play at least one metal song

ReputationRep:
    That looks awesome!!! I have a fender strat copy, but replaced all the cheap pick-ups and tone/vol pots. I also have a telecaster (has a better sound than a strat imo)
    Haha how can you have an electric guitar and not play at least one metal song
    That's what I've always wanted to do actually!
    What pick ups did you replace them with? I'm thinking of either EMGs or DiMarzios, but It'll be a while before I have the time/money to actually do it

I've never actually played a telecaster, but I've heard good things about them. I want a floyd rose so that's why I chose that yellow Ibanez.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I've always wanted to do actually!
    What pick ups did you replace them with? I'm thinking of either EMGs or DiMarzios, but It'll be a while before I have the time/money to actually do it

I've never actually played a telecaster, but I've heard good things about them. I want a floyd rose so that's why I chose that yellow Ibanez.
    I must have replaced them about 6/7 years ago, but I'm pretty sure I replaced them with genuine Fender Strat ones I bought on an ebay auction for £40 (I think anyways). I think that was the first time I bought 'super slinky' steel strings as well (I highly recommend)
    They're very cool aren't they?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.