Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So, this year (Y12) I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Music (all at AS Level) and I think I will carry them all forward to next year.

However, I have started to be intrigued by the Physics course but its too late now really to catch up. I have also been looking at university courses and I think I would find the Mechanics (which I love) modules at university much more interesting than the stats ones. The theoretical mathematics ones look interesting too!

The questions I'm really asking are:
    - Could I teach myself AS Physics next year along with my 4 A-Levels?
    - Would it help me in the Mechanics and theoretical mathematics modules at university?
    - Would Universities just ignore my AS in Physics if I pass it or would they take it into consideration along with my 4 A-Levels?
    - Would it be possible to do AS and A2 in 1 year or could I do that if I dropped one of my subjects?

ReputationRep:
    I think you could teach yourself AS physics but it would be a lot of work to do alongside your 4 a levels.. also you never know if during the course of teaching yourself it u might change your mind and not want to do it anymore. Universities do look for extra things people do so it could be a massive advantage and make you stand out from other applicants however im not sure if they would just ignore it (they probably wouldn't). Lastly I don't think u should drop a subject.

-ps. u sound extremely smart

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. That has really helped. Ill probably get in contact with the head of physics to see if they can offer any support too and a lot of my friends do it so I could ask them if I have any questions. Thanks again :-)

- I'm not really smart, I just work really hard and anyone can work really hard if they put their mind to it :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrandonF1407)
    Hi everyone,

So, this year (Y12) I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Music (all at AS Level) and I think I will carry them all forward to next year.

However, I have started to be intrigued by the Physics course but its too late now really to catch up. I have also been looking at university courses and I think I would find the Mechanics (which I love) modules at university much more interesting than the stats ones. The theoretical mathematics ones look interesting too!

The questions I'm really asking are:
    - Could I teach myself AS Physics next year along with my 4 A-Levels?
    - Would it help me in the Mechanics and theoretical mathematics modules at university?
    - Would Universities just ignore my AS in Physics if I pass it or would they take it into consideration along with my 4 A-Levels?
    - Would it be possible to do AS and A2 in 1 year or could I do that if I dropped one of my subjects?

Wow, you already have a pretty big workload!! Have you had any mock exams yet? If I were you, I would make my decision based on the grades I get in mock exams whether I would be capable of picking up another subject!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Wow, you already have a pretty big workload!! Have you had any mock exams yet? If I were you, I would make my decision based on the grades I get in mock exams whether I would be capable of picking up another subject!!
    Good idea. We had some in January and I got A's in C1, FP1 and Music and B's in M1 and Chemistry and a A/B in S1. I don't feel like I'm getting too much homework as well, like I do have some free time atm :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrandonF1407)
    Good idea. We had some in January and I got A's in C1, FP1 and Music and B's in M1 and Chemistry and a A/B in S1. I don't feel like I'm getting too much homework as well, like I do have some free time atm :-)
    That's really impressive!! Well done for keeping up with your workload!! How many hours each week of independent study do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    That's really impressive!! Well done for keeping up with your workload!! How many hours each week of independent study do you do?
    Thanks. I was sooo happy with the B in M1 because it means my M2 should be good as well. Its probably between 1-1.5 hours each week night and then maybe 3-4 hours over the weekend. Not on Wednesdays though xD so that's between 7-10 hours a week including homework. I find maths so natural though so most of that is music & chemistry and maths homework xD

Are you in Y12 as well? How much independent study do you do a week?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.