The Student Room Group

Should I teach myself AS Physics in Y13?

Hi everyone,

So, this year (Y12) I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Music (all at AS Level) and I think I will carry them all forward to next year.

However, I have started to be intrigued by the Physics course but its too late now really to catch up. I have also been looking at university courses and I think I would find the Mechanics (which I love) modules at university much more interesting than the stats ones. The theoretical mathematics ones look interesting too!

The questions I'm really asking are:
- Could I teach myself AS Physics next year along with my 4 A-Levels?
- Would it help me in the Mechanics and theoretical mathematics modules at university?
- Would Universities just ignore my AS in Physics if I pass it or would they take it into consideration along with my 4 A-Levels?
- Would it be possible to do AS and A2 in 1 year or could I do that if I dropped one of my subjects?

(edited 8 years ago)
I think you could teach yourself AS physics but it would be a lot of work to do alongside your 4 a levels.. also you never know if during the course of teaching yourself it u might change your mind and not want to do it anymore. Universities do look for extra things people do so it could be a massive advantage and make you stand out from other applicants however im not sure if they would just ignore it (they probably wouldn't). Lastly I don't think u should drop a subject.

-ps. u sound extremely smart :smile:
Thanks. That has really helped. Ill probably get in contact with the head of physics to see if they can offer any support too and a lot of my friends do it so I could ask them if I have any questions. Thanks again :-)

- I'm not really smart, I just work really hard and anyone can work really hard if they put their mind to it :-)
Original post by BrandonF1407
Hi everyone,

So, this year (Y12) I have taken Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Music (all at AS Level) and I think I will carry them all forward to next year.

However, I have started to be intrigued by the Physics course but its too late now really to catch up. I have also been looking at university courses and I think I would find the Mechanics (which I love) modules at university much more interesting than the stats ones. The theoretical mathematics ones look interesting too!

The questions I'm really asking are:
- Could I teach myself AS Physics next year along with my 4 A-Levels?
- Would it help me in the Mechanics and theoretical mathematics modules at university?
- Would Universities just ignore my AS in Physics if I pass it or would they take it into consideration along with my 4 A-Levels?
- Would it be possible to do AS and A2 in 1 year or could I do that if I dropped one of my subjects?

Wow, you already have a pretty big workload!! Have you had any mock exams yet? If I were you, I would make my decision based on the grades I get in mock exams whether I would be capable of picking up another subject!!
Original post by Philip-flop
Wow, you already have a pretty big workload!! Have you had any mock exams yet? If I were you, I would make my decision based on the grades I get in mock exams whether I would be capable of picking up another subject!!

Good idea. We had some in January and I got A's in C1, FP1 and Music and B's in M1 and Chemistry and a A/B in S1. I don't feel like I'm getting too much homework as well, like I do have some free time atm :-)
Original post by BrandonF1407
Good idea. We had some in January and I got A's in C1, FP1 and Music and B's in M1 and Chemistry and a A/B in S1. I don't feel like I'm getting too much homework as well, like I do have some free time atm :-)

That's really impressive!! Well done for keeping up with your workload!! How many hours each week of independent study do you do?
Original post by Philip-flop
That's really impressive!! Well done for keeping up with your workload!! How many hours each week of independent study do you do?

Thanks. I was sooo happy with the B in M1 because it means my M2 should be good as well. Its probably between 1-1.5 hours each week night and then maybe 3-4 hours over the weekend. Not on Wednesdays though xD so that's between 7-10 hours a week including homework. I find maths so natural though so most of that is music & chemistry and maths homework xD

Are you in Y12 as well? How much independent study do you do a week?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending