Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really need your opinion in this one:

Name:  thermoq.PNG
Views: 113
Size:  10.3 KB

I think it is meant to be delta G at standard conditions (not sure). So I calculated delta G and it's negative so option A? I think it's either A or B

Many thanks. Help will be appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Daniel Atieh)
    I really need your opinion in this one:

Name:  thermoq.PNG
Views: 113
Size:  10.3 KB

I think it is meant to be delta G at standard conditions (not sure). So I calculated delta G and it's negative so option A? I think it's either A or B

Many thanks. Help will be appreciated
    Without an equation it certainly cannot be determined ...

Option D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Without an equation it certainly cannot be determined ...

Option D
    The equation is
    deltaG= delta Gْ + RTln ([products]/[reactants])
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    The equation is
    I meant the equation for the reaction ...

ReputationRep:
    I meant the equation for the reaction ...
    hmm I really don't know. But the reaction is feasible, and we have the concentrations. Lets suppose i have the equation, how i should go about solving it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    hmm I really don't know. But the reaction is feasible, and we have the concentrations. Lets suppose i have the equation, how i should go about solving it?
    Which reaction? There is none stated!

ReputationRep:
    Which reaction? There is none stated!
    I would assume this (didn't check the image, sorry):

A + B <--> C + D

ReputationRep:
    I would assume this (didn't check the image, sorry):

A + B <--> C + D
    If it is that equation, and its an equilibrium, then at equilibrium ∆G = 0 so ∆G° = -RT lnK and you can work out the equilibrium ratios. Then just decide whether [A] and [B] will increase or decrease to get to that ratio. (That is assuming the ∆G you've been given is in fact ∆G°. If its ∆G instead, you don't have enough information. I don't really trust the notation of whoever gave you the question though!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    If it is that equation, and its an equilibrium, then at equilibrium ∆G = 0 so ∆G° = -RT lnK and you can work out the equilibrium ratios. Then just decide whether [A] and [B] will increase or decrease to get to that ratio. (That is assuming the ∆G you've been given is in fact ∆G°. If its ∆G instead, you don't have enough information. I don't really trust the notation of whoever gave you the question though!)
    Hey

Yes, I confirmed it is delta G at standard conditions. I am given the concentration of each species in the question (1M A, 1M B, 0.1 M C, 0.1 M D).
    So shall I calculate delta G? If so, I got a large negative value, and accordingly, can I say it goes in forward direction? Is this approach correct?

I still feel pretty weak at grasping what's going on in this question :/
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hey

Yes, I confirmed it is delta G at standard conditions. I am given the concentration of each species in the question (1M A, 1M B, 0.1 M C, 0.1 M D).
    So shall I calculate delta G? If so, I got a large negative value, and accordingly, can I say it goes in forward direction? Is this approach correct?

I still feel pretty weak at grasping what's going on in this question :/
    My take on this is that the easiest way to tackle it is to use:

ΔG = -RTlnK

To work out K

Then plug in the values given to find out the reaction quotient K'

If K' is larger than K the reaction goes in reverse and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    My take on this is that the easiest way to tackle it is to use:

ΔG = -RTlnK

To work out K

Then plug in the values given to find out the reaction quotient K'

If K' is larger than K the reaction goes in reverse and vice versa.
    (Original post by KombatWombat)
    Many thanks both of you. I utterly got what you mean, and it worked well.

My last question is whether I can simple find delta G and according to that I can decide which side it will favour. In our example, it is negative so forward. What do you think?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Many thanks both of you. I utterly got what you mean, and it worked well.

My last question is whether I can simple find delta G and according to that I can decide which side it will favour. In our example, it is negative so forward. What do you think?
    But you are given ΔG in the question!

ReputationRep:
    But you are given ΔG in the question!
    Delta G at standard conditions.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Delta G at standard conditions.
    The value of ΔG changes during the reaction.

Do you mean to find ΔG at the beginning of the reaction with only A and B present in stoichiometric amounts? (Don't forget that temperature does not feature in standard conditions)

I don't see how this is relevant for your question.

ReputationRep:
    The value of ΔG changes during the reaction.

Do you mean to find ΔG at the beginning of the reaction with only A and B present in stoichiometric amounts? (Don't forget that temperature does not feature in standard conditions)

I don't see how this is relevant for your question.
    Yes, at that point where we have 1 molar of reactants and 0.1 molar of products. I can calculate delta G for that point and see whether it will occur or not. As I got a negative value, it is feasible and will go towards products. Correct?

I got your point that delta G changes in the course of the reaction, yeah.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Yes, at that point where we have 1 molar of reactants and 0.1 molar of products. I can calculate delta G for that point and see whether it will occur or not. As I got a negative value, it is feasible and will go towards products. Correct?

I got your point that delta G changes in the course of the reaction, yeah.
    According to your question the reaction will not start under standard conditions from the reactants A & B

ΔG is positive.

But you know that at equilibrium ΔG = 0

Use the standard ΔG value to work out the equilibrium constant

And do your calculations using the molar amounts given to find the quotient = [C][D]/[A][ B]

ReputationRep:
    According to your question the reaction will not start under standard conditions from the reactants A & B

ΔG is positive.

But you know that at equilibrium ΔG = 0

Use the standard ΔG value to work out the equilibrium constant

And do your calculations using the molar amounts given to find the quotient = [C][D]/[A][ B]
    Thank you. Yes, I got this approach and it worked, but I am still keen to know whether the other pathway makes sense or not.

delta G = (0.4 Kj x 10^3) + [8.314 J/K/mol x 298 K x ln (0.1 x 0.1)/1)] = -11000 J

Sorry for disturbance, but it is important for me to know why the above method does/doesn't work

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.