Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed an odd (in my opinion) behaviour from my girlfriend so if anyone can help explain it I'd be very grateful!

I am 27, she is 26 and we have been together for about 6 months now, though trying to take it slow. She has quite a good job, and I am doing a 5 year doctorates degree whilst working. Since earlier on, I noticed that she seems to mimic much of what I say and do. Every single text I've ever sent to her, or whatsapp message, her response will always accurately resemble the length I've sent to her (sometimes down to the same paragraph lengths!) and ''Always'' send the same number of ''x's'' after a text. I tested this to see whether I was just over analysing by sending 3, then 1, then 4, then 2, and she copies every single time.

This has confused my male mind a little! Why not just send as many as she wants? Why copy me like that? What does this behaviour say about what shes thinking or feeling?

She's a very social girl, but struggles sometimes to open up emotionally - perhaps, like most of us, shes been hurt and is scared of getting hurt again by me. I have no clue if this is the case, but if it is I wonder how I can help her. Maybe just time? Talking to her about it directly will certainly make her feel awkward and close off (she does that easily when talking about 'important' things).

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    It seems as if she's doing it because she thinks that's what you want - she thinks you're comfortable with one so she puts one, but then you put three so she thinks you want three. It's most likely insecurity on her part and I can see why it would be frustrating to have exactly the same paragraph length. Communication is key, if it's bothering you or you want to talk about it then talk to her! That's what a relationship is all about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    It seems as if she's doing it because she thinks that's what you want - she thinks you're comfortable with one so she puts one, but then you put three so she thinks you want three. It's most likely insecurity on her part and I can see why it would be frustrating to have exactly the same paragraph length. Communication is key, if it's bothering you or you want to talk about it then talk to her! That's what a relationship is all about.
    I wouldnt say its bothering me really, more that it makes me wonder why on earth she does it - and that makes me think. maybe shes worrying or something. She once mentioned to me "Just wait until I get needy and clingy.." - so maybe she has been like that in the past and it's pushed people away and shes scared of doing it with me, so is trying to take it at 'what she perceives' as my pace?

If she could express herself just as she is to me, that would mean such a huge amount. I can definitely understand when you said it's most likely insecurity. Would you say its probably because of a fear of pushing me away then? Regarding the texting, I always just put however many 'x's' i feel like, and never really think about it.

If shes worried like suggested, it is kind of sweet as it shows she doesnt want me to go - but I do not want her to worry. This is why I wonder, maybe it will take time? Or maybe it will take me being assertive with her and just having some 'meaningful' talk?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.