Turn on thread page Beta

Embarassing issue with my girlfriend watch

I have a slightly embarassing issue I'd like some advice on.

Everytime I have sex with my girlfriend I end up getting what is called 'blantitis' - which is basically a fungal infection. At first I thought it was some kind of allergy, but I noticed in periods of no sex (she goes away for work trips occasionally) I never get this, and almost on the dot, two days or so after I've had sex with her I get it. I assume this must be because she has candidiasis or something.

I have no clue what to do. How can I bring this up in a non awkward way with her? We're still at the 'developing comfort' phase, and suddenly bringing up something like that would surely knock her confidence. Part of me wants to just forget about it and combat it when it occurs myself (there are creams etc available), but that isn't really sorting the cause out.

ReputationRep:
    just tell her, just say i keep getting this rash on my d*** every time we have sex, idk why

ReputationRep:
    I really think you're just going to have to tell her, I don't think there is a non-awkward way, tbh. It's not her fault, some people just normally have higher levels of yeast on their bodies, or are much more prone to yeast infections. You can't keep just treating it when it occurs, or the anti-fungal medication may stop working as well and she should get a check up as well, it could also be affecting her.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think that you two need to have a chat. Let her know how you feel and that you don't intend to knock her confidence. In a relationship you should be able to talk about anything, yeah? I mean... Imagine if it was something equally 'awkward' but really serious and dangerous. At least getting over this hurdle will be preparation for if that were to happen (touch wood it wouldn't anyway, but it's something you probably want to be prepared for). All the best!

Get advice from on of those medical doctor forum sites

Thrush can be passed back and forth between partners and both people would need treatment. Pretty sure you can get the medicine from a pharmacist but if you want to be absolutely certain you're both healthy go to a gp or sexual health clinic either together or separately.

I know it can seem embarrassing but it's just an imbalance that can happen to anyone even just from wrong sort of underwear, a course of antibiotics, being a bit run down etc. If you really don't want to talk about it get treatment for yourself then always use a condom and avoid oral sex because thrush can happen in the mouth too. Talking seems best though!

Something else to consider- Are you particularly OTT with cleaning pre and post sex? You can cause thrush/balanitis by being heavy handed with soap. It might be a case of needing something much more mild.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thrush can be passed back and forth between partners and both people would need treatment. Pretty sure you can get the medicine from a pharmacist but if you want to be absolutely certain you're both healthy go to a gp or sexual health clinic either together or separately.

I know it can seem embarrassing but it's just an imbalance that can happen to anyone even just from wrong sort of underwear, a course of antibiotics, being a bit run down etc. If you really don't want to talk about it get treatment for yourself then always use a condom and avoid oral sex because thrush can happen in the mouth too. Talking seems best though!

Something else to consider- Are you particularly OTT with cleaning pre and post sex? You can cause thrush/balanitis by being heavy handed with soap. It might be a case of needing something much more mild.
    Pretty much this, OP. It's likely to be thrush, in which case you should go to your doctor to have it confirmed if it's the first time - most places won't give you the pill (although they'll give you the cream) if you've never been diagnosed with thrush.

It can be caused by all sorts of things - underwear, diabetes etc. You're most likely to get it if either of you use perfumed soap when washing yourselves (not necessarily just pre/post sex), so use a non perfumed soap or just warm water.

Also make sure you're both urinating less than 30 minutes after sex, as not doing so can cause a UTI.

ReputationRep:
    Why not go and see your GP for a bit of advice. And if your at the stage of doing the business a sensitive talk about this type of issue should be feasible. It's not as if your accusing her of having an STI.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.