Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

where do i start with getting a hot bod and good lifestyle? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm overweight in a big way but not obese, and i quit smoking 2 weeks ago (on lozenges now), and i'm trying to quit drinking.

do i start with getting down to a healthy weight then build up muscle from there?

ReputationRep:
    erm start eating healthy and exercising could be a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    erm start eating healthy and exercising could be a start.
    yeh but where do i start, like, do i start with jogging etc to get my weight down, or go right into muscle training to get big muscles?

sorry i should've been clearer in my first post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    yeh but where do i start, like, do i start with jogging etc to get my weight down, or go right into muscle training to get big muscles?

sorry i should've been clearer in my first post
    Erm, well you should start of by getting your body percentage fat lower, and then you should start training your muscle, i.e weight lifting.

I heard intermittent fasting is great for lowering your percentage fat and then building up some muscle.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I think the best thing to start off with would be to change your diet and reduce the amount of intake from unhealthy substances and then after you should work on an exercise plan on what you feel will be best effective.

ReputationRep:
    GENETICS :yep:

ReputationRep:
    eat less

exercise more

job done

:hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Pay me and il tell you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana Sajeem)
    Hi,
    I think the best thing to start off with would be to change your diet and reduce the amount of intake from unhealthy substances and then after you should work on an exercise plan on what you feel will be best effective.
    Intake is intake, whether its' from 'healthy' foods or 'unhealthy' foods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeliciousAbs)
    Intake is intake, whether its' from 'healthy' foods or 'unhealthy' foods.
    Okay but I said unhealthy

ReputationRep:
    Eat very little? I know it's unhealthy but it works. Then slowly start eating more when you reach your goal weight and go to the gym!

Don't waste your calories on junk food unless you want to feel hungry all the time & be undernourished. Although it's good to eat some junk food when you're craving it so you don't feel deprived and end up 'giving up' your diet.

Take multi vitamin and iron tablets. Coffee is a life saver. Yeah. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    I'm overweight in a big way but not obese, and i quit smoking 2 weeks ago (on lozenges now), and i'm trying to quit drinking.

do i start with getting down to a healthy weight then build up muscle from there?
    I'd start with diet and cardio. You wanna get your daily calorie intake down to about 2100-2200 a day, and try to get rid of as much saturated fat from your diet as possible. Don't mess around with fad diets, they're a waste of time cause they aren't sustainable. On a normal cutting day, I'd eat a bowl of cereal with strawberries and blueberries for breakfast, a couple of pieces of grilled chicken in a mixed leaf salad (no dressing) for lunch and then for dinner, a normal meal but swap out your carbs for healthier alternatives. For instance, if you're having something like a stew go for sweet potatoes. If you're having something with pasta, try whole wheat pasta instead.

And yeah, you should start with some cardio. If you're not very fit, resist the temptation to go nuts with it. Start by maybe going for a half-hour run, four times a week. As you get fitter, you can run further/more often. Just listen to the cues from your body, if you feel like you can keep going then keep going. But if you're really feeling it, then take it a bit easier. Overtraining won't help anything. And don't confine yourself to running, it'll quickly get boring if you do. Cycling, swimming, sparring, anything like that will do the job nicely.

Also, no matter what you hear people say, you really cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time, at least not in any substantial way. One requires a calorie surplus, the other a calorie deficit. So my advice would be focus first on losing fat, then worry about building muscle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.