Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    Sorry this is a little complicated.

    I went to university a few years ago and dropped out in my second year. I started university again this September. For the year I dropped out I submitted proof extenuating circumstances (which was illness) so I would be eligible for full finance this year, which turned out all good.

    However, I was apparently overpaid on my maintenance loan the year I dropped out. My application was reassessed at the beginning of this month and I now won`t be getting my last loan payment because I was previously overpaid. I assumed though that the year I was overpaid was wiped off because I provided the extenuating circumstances information, and that the overpayment would be ignored so to speak, but this isn`t the case?

    Also the overpayment was because I dropped out, it wouldn`t have been an overpayment if I would have stayed.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi AJTrimnell1

    Applying for extenuating circumstances does not get your funding wiped off. If you were paid more money than you were entitled to you would be asked to pay it back or have it taken from future funding.

    If this has put you into financial difficulty you can write to the discretionary repayments team. You will need to provide evidence that this will put you into financial hardship and provide evidence such as:
    • 3 months bank statements (for all accounts in customers name)
    • Evidence of any obligations that they are liable to pay (tenancy agreement, utility bills etc
    • Copies of any debt/arrears letters that they may have
    If you wish to do this please send with a cover letter to:
    Discretionary Payments Team
    Student Finance England
    Memphis Building
    Lingfield Point
    PO Box 120
    DL1 1AS


University open days

  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.