Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm looking to study psychology at university but I'm unsure of what universities to be looking at. Anyone who takes psychology at any university, it would be good to know what the course is like at your uni and the what the university its self is like? So far I've looked at Bath, Newcastle and Nottingham online. I'm currently also looking into opening days. Thanks any help would be good
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethany4673)
    So I'm looking to study psychology at university but I'm unsure of what universities to be looking at. Anyone who takes psychology at any university, it would be good to know what the course is like at your uni and the what the university its self is like? So far I've looked at Bath, Newcastle and Nottingham online. I'm currently also looking into opening days. Thanks any help would be good
    Hi Bethany,

I'm a second year Psychology student here at Bath. From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society as it is BPS accredited. The Psychology course at Bath is also very varied in how it is assessed, including exams, essays, group projects, practical work and presentations.

There is the opportunity to choose one optional module each semester. This means that 4 out of 5 modules for each semester are compulsory and are Psychology modules. This might include modules on topics such as Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology or Social Psychology. Optional modules can either be further Psychology modules that are not compulsory, which include more specialized topics like Health Psychology. Or if you would like to take a module from another department including Politics, Education, Sociology, Sports and Exercise Science, Biology or Languages - this is also an option. So far, I have done a Sociology module every semester. I have really enjoyed these optional modules as they make the degree course more varied and you can learn about subjects you haven't studied before.

Another great thing about Psychology at Bath is the optional placement year - a year spent working in an apprentice role with a professional psychologist. If you choose to apply for the 4 year placement course, the placement is done in the third year of the degree. At Bath there is a huge range of placements that you can apply to including clinical, educational, forensic, business and research placements. There are many clinical placements to choose from in hospitals across the UK, including very prestigious hospitals such as Great Ormond Street and Broadmoor psychiatric hospital. Additionally, there are many overseas placements in countries such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. This offers a great opportunity to gain experience in an area of Psychology that interests you, and is a fantastic thing to put on your CV!

In terms of the university itself, something that you may want to consider is location and what type of city you would like to live in. Bath, being a World Heritage site, is a beautiful and picturesque city to live in with lots of shops and restaurants, and offering plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). With over 15,000 students at the University of Bath, there is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering. Bath is a campus university, which is great as it offers facilities such as accommodation, a shop, the SU, sports facilities, the library, bars, cafes and teaching facilities all in one place. It is a fairly small and compact campus, which means it has a real community feel and offers a sociable, cosy and safe environment to study in! You might find it useful to take a look at our virtual tours which will give you a better idea of the accommodation and facilities available on campus. However, I would definitely recommend coming to an Open Day if possible, as I found that seeing the campus and having the opportunity to talk to current students and lecturers really helped me to decide whether Bath was the right university for me!

If you have any other questions about the course or student life at Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University Of Bath)
    Hi Bethany,

I'm a second year Psychology student here at Bath. From my experience, the Psychology course at Bath is very varied and provides you with a solid grounding in areas across the discipline. As you can see here in the Psychology unit catalogue, we study a wide range of topics, and the degree course particularly focuses on areas specified by the British Psychological Society as it is BPS accredited. The Psychology course at Bath is also very varied in how it is assessed, including exams, essays, group projects, practical work and presentations.

There is the opportunity to choose one optional module each semester. This means that 4 out of 5 modules for each semester are compulsory and are Psychology modules. This might include modules on topics such as Developmental Psychology, Cognitive Psychology or Social Psychology. Optional modules can either be further Psychology modules that are not compulsory, which include more specialized topics like Health Psychology. Or if you would like to take a module from another department including Politics, Education, Sociology, Sports and Exercise Science, Biology or Languages - this is also an option. So far, I have done a Sociology module every semester. I have really enjoyed these optional modules as they make the degree course more varied and you can learn about subjects you haven't studied before.

Another great thing about Psychology at Bath is the optional placement year - a year spent working in an apprentice role with a professional psychologist. If you choose to apply for the 4 year placement course, the placement is done in the third year of the degree. At Bath there is a huge range of placements that you can apply to including clinical, educational, forensic, business and research placements. There are many clinical placements to choose from in hospitals across the UK, including very prestigious hospitals such as Great Ormond Street and Broadmoor psychiatric hospital. Additionally, there are many overseas placements in countries such as the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. This offers a great opportunity to gain experience in an area of Psychology that interests you, and is a fantastic thing to put on your CV!

In terms of the university itself, something that you may want to consider is location and what type of city you would like to live in. Bath, being a World Heritage site, is a beautiful and picturesque city to live in with lots of shops and restaurants, and offering plenty to do (to get an idea you can look at Bath Leap List, a list of the best activities to do in Bath compiled by students!). With over 15,000 students at the University of Bath, there is also plenty to get involved in through the Student’s Union; whether this be societies, sports or volunteering. Bath is a campus university, which is great as it offers facilities such as accommodation, a shop, the SU, sports facilities, the library, bars, cafes and teaching facilities all in one place. It is a fairly small and compact campus, which means it has a real community feel and offers a sociable, cosy and safe environment to study in! You might find it useful to take a look at our virtual tours which will give you a better idea of the accommodation and facilities available on campus. However, I would definitely recommend coming to an Open Day if possible, as I found that seeing the campus and having the opportunity to talk to current students and lecturers really helped me to decide whether Bath was the right university for me!

If you have any other questions about the course or student life at Bath, feel free to quote me!

Beth
    This was such a great help, thank you so much! I'm going to try and book an opening day and see what things are like. It sounds like a really nice university and its on my list. Thanks for the help. I'll give the virtual tours a look.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed psychology at Sheffield Hallam. and doing an MSc there (neurosci).
    Course is good and provides a good grounding, links, and has a good atmosphere.
    Best advice I feel I can give you is pick anywhere where you would feel happy for 3+ years.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My friends do Psychology, so I have quite a bit of experience of what they get up to. They both really like it, they enjoy the modules and their favourite bit is that they get to take part in research experiments. The facilities are also really good, they include an MRI scanner, electrophysiology, and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). There are also observation rooms equipped with sound recording, video recording and editing facilities, as well as state-of-the-art eye tracking to support social psychology. Here is the link for more information https://www.reading.ac.uk/Ready-to-S.../psychology-ug

Also at Reading you can either take a placement year, or a placement throughout your degree, say on a weekly basis. These placements contribute towards your degree. They are really useful in gaining experience and skills to take into a workplace.

The university itself is a campus university which is very green and has won a green flag award for the last 5 years. We have a lake, an ornamental garden and an area called the wilderness, all great areas to explore and relax in. We also have a 24 hour a day library, ( apart from Saturday nights) which is really handy. It also has lots of modern work spaces, in a range of styles so you can find a space that suits your working style. Our students union is ranked in the top 10 of the UK, has lots going on including weekly quiz and karaoke nights, two club nights a week, a bar, two eating places, and the comedy central circuit come every other week. Town is also only like 10 minute bus or 15/20 minute walk which has plenty of shops nightclubs and restaurants.

Our open days are on the 17th and 18th of June this summer and here is the link to the page with the information http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...open-days.aspx

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any other questions
    Emma
    2nd Year Human and Physical Geographer

ReputationRep:
    London Met

ReputationRep:
    As long as the course is BPS accredited then it'll cover the same main topics as any other. Check out the modules of the courses and see if any jump out as being of more interest to you. The main thing I'd recommend is to get a placement year as that experience can be invaluable in getting work after university.

The single most important outcome of your degree is the classification and that is going to be tied to how happy and motivated you are. Picking a university that you will thrive at is important - whether it is campus based, the night life, levels of student support, closeness to home, etc. Unfortunately, that is a decision for you to make.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.