Turn on thread page Beta

How does a statistician groom himself? watch

ReputationRep:
    With an unbiased epilator.

Now I've got your attention, have a question.

We define skewness as

\gamma = \dfrac{E[(X-\mu)^{3}]}{\sigma^3}

Show that for the Poisson distribution,

\gamma = \mu^{-0.5}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)

Now I've got your attention, have a question.

We define skewness as

\gamma = \dfrac{E[(X-\mu)^{3}]}{\sigma^3}

Show that for the Poisson distribution,

\gamma = \mu^{-0.5}
    There may be a smoother way to do this, but I've never really dealt with skewness before. . .
    For a Poisson, you know that: \sigma^2=\mu.
    From here, you can expand \mathbb{E}[(X-\mu)^3], and rearrange a little, you'll need to compute the third moment of the Poisson r.v., which I get to be \mu^3+3\mu^2+\mu.
    Terms cancel, and the result follows.

EDIT: Just realised, you're not after help are you? I'll go back to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not the intended method, but:

\lambda = E(X^2) - \lambda^2 \Rightarrow E(X^2) = \lambda + \lambda^2

\displaystyle E(X^3) = e^{-\mu} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mu^{x}x^3}{x!} = e^{-\mu} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^2 \frac{\mu^x}{(x-1)!}

Write: x^2 = x^2 - 1 + 1 = (x-1)(x+1) + 1 to get:

\displaystyle \frac{E(X^3)}{e^{-\mu}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(x+1)\mu^x}{(x-2)!} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mu^x}{(x-1)!}

Focusing on the first term and re-writing x + 1 = (x-2) + 3

\displaystyle \frac{x+1}{(x-2)!} = \frac{1}{(x-3)!} + \frac{3}{(x-2)!}

So E(X^3) = \mu^3 + 3 \mu^2 + \mu

Hence: E((X-\mu)^3) = \mu^3 + 3 \mu^2 + \mu -3\mu(\mu + \mu^2) + 3\mu^3   -\mu^3 = \mu

So: \displaystyle \frac{\mu}{\mu^{1.5}} = \frac{1}{\mu^0.5} = \mu^{-1/2} as required.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  c22.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  59.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Probably not the intended method, but:

\lambda = E(X^2) - \lambda^2 \Rightarrow E(X^2) = \lambda + \lambda^2

\displaystyle E(X^3) = e^{-\mu} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mu^{x}x^3}{x!} = e^{-\mu} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^2 \frac{\mu^x}{(x-1)!}

Write: x^2 = x^2 - 1 + 1 = (x-1)(x+1) + 1 to get:

\displaystyle \frac{E(X^3)}{e^{-\mu}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(x+1)\mu^x}{(x-2)!} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\mu^x}{(x-1)!}

Focusing on the first term and re-writing x + 1 = (x-2) + 3

\displaystyle \frac{x+1}{(x-2)!} = \frac{1}{(x-3)!} + \frac{3}{(x-2)!}

So E(X^3) = \mu^3 + 3 \mu^2 + \mu

Hence: E((X-\mu)^3) = \mu^3 + 3 \mu^2 + \mu -3\mu(\mu + \mu^2) + 3\mu^3   -\mu^3 = \cdots

Okay, what have I done wrong?
    Read the definition again...

ReputationRep:
    Read the definition again...
    Awesome. Now that I've gotten over being illiterate, s'all good. Lovely question.

ReputationRep:
    Now I need to find some more interesting stats questions.

In the meantime, a silly little thing (in the sense of utterly removed from reality) for you to work on:

The standard normal variates X, Y and Z are such that X+Y=Z. Given that they have integer standard deviations a, b and c respectively, show that an odd number of a, b and c is even.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now I need to find some more interesting stats questions.

In the meantime, a silly little thing (in the sense of utterly removed from reality) for you to work on:

The standard normal variates X, Y and Z are such that X+Y=Z. Given that they have integer standard deviations a, b and c respectively, show that an odd number of a, b and c is even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have: a^2 + b^2 = c^2 - which is a Pythagorean triple. Since squares are congruent to 0, 1 mod 2 we have:

Case 1: a^2 + b^2 \equiv 0 \pmod{2} and since a^2, b^2 are squares then they are either both even or both odd. In both cases, c is even so that's an odd number of even.

Case 2: a^2 + b^2 \equiv 1 \pmod{2} and since a^2, b^2 are squares, then one is even and the other is odd, so in both cases, c is odd so that's an odd number of even.

I hope I haven't mucked this up somehow, I'm generally horrid at this sort of stuff. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have S1 and C1 edexcel textbooks pdf??
    Thanks in advaance )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaSohail101)
    Does anyone have S1 and C1 edexcel textbooks pdf??
    Thanks in advaance )
    Please don't go off topic in someone else's thread. You can create another thread and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Please don't go off topic in someone else's thread. You can create another thread and ask.
    Oh sorry to bother you :/ actually im new here and i dont know how to create a thread yet.
    Sorry again it wont happen again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeshaSohail101)
    Oh sorry to bother you :/ actually im new here and i dont know how to create a thread yet.
    Sorry again it wont happen again
    Oh don't worry about it I'll show you by posting a message on your profile in a sec!

ReputationRep:
    When you try and stop someone's conversation but they ignore you...#FEELSBADMAN

Spoiler:
    Show
    Jk, Not srs BibleThump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    When you try and stop someone's conversation but they ignore you...#FEELSBADMAN

xD sh

ReputationRep:
    I hope I haven't mucked this up somehow, I'm generally horrid at this sort of stuff. :ahee:
    It looks fine to me... but we are assuming X and Y are independent, I think

Alsop, I thought the phrase "standard normal variates" suggests standard deviation of 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    It looks fine to me... but we are assuming X and Y are independent, I think

Alsop, I thought the phrase "standard normal variates" suggests standard deviation of 1?
    Yep, we're assuming that they're independent. I don't know how to do it if don't assume independence - I've only done up to S3. :dontknow:

Good spot, probably just a slip in Krollo's phrasing.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, we're assuming that they're independent. I don't know how to do it if don't assume independence - I've only done up to S3. :dontknow:

Good spot, probably just a slip in Krollo's phrasing.
    Its rather neat for dependant variables: Var(A+B)=Var(A)+2Covar(A,B)+Var( B), similar to the identity (a+b)^2 = A^2 + 2ab + b^2

And its easy to prove using the definitions of Variance and Covariance: Var(A)=E([A-E{A}]^2), Covar(A,B)=E([A-E{A}][B-E{B}])

You enjoying Stats then? Are you going to be doing the full 3 Alevels in Maths too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Its rather neat for dependant variables: Var(A+B)=Var(A)+2Covar(A,B)+Var( B), similar to the identity (a+b)^2 = A^2 + 2ab + b^2

And its easy to prove using the definitions of Variance and Covariance: Var(A)=E([A-E{A}]^2), Covar(A,B)=E([A-E{A}][B-E{B}])

You enjoying Stats then? Are you going to be doing the full 3 Alevels in Maths too?
    Ah, yes. Covariance. I've got no clue what that is though, just seen it in the formula booklets. Thanks for that. :yep:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than mechanics at the moment. I'm only doing it as an insurance module, no way I'll be doing AFM (even if I could, I wouldn't. My exam board doesn't offer it). You doing AFM?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, yes. Covariance. I've got no clue what that is though, just seen it in the formula booklets. Thanks for that. :yep:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit more than mechanics at the moment. I'm only doing it as an insurance module, no way I'll be doing AFM (even if I could, I wouldn't. My exam board doesn't offer it). You doing AFM?
    Wait what? Edezcel IAL doesn't have AFM?

ReputationRep:
    Wait what? Edezcel IAL doesn't have AFM?
    Nah, they don't even offer modules beyond S3 and M3.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.