Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Unless you are very fit or have a lot of time then you are highly unlikley to be able to sustain burning 1000 calories a day.
    Well i very easily burn 1,000+ kcals a day:

13 mile commute to school - 600 kcals
    Gym - 300 kcals
    Normal daily activity - 300 kcals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    If you are a healthy active person like me, burning 1k is not alot. If you commute to work and back by cycling, and do fudamental house work, you've pretty much reached that target. The number of people that start gym to solely lose weight for "summer" and actually stick to it, is minimal.

Advising someone to use MFP is the exact same thing. You should not count calories but instead increase activity and eat in a satiated manner.

And do not forget metabolic damage
    It takes me about 4000 calories to feel satiated. I can eat like a machine.

I need about 2100 calories to be in a significant deficit to lose weight each week. If I wasn't counting calories, I'd be screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Does this mean that weight loss is achieved through diet?
    Yes and by your daily activities. Do not count calories. For a start, just cut all processed food which should be easy. Fast food, processed meat, sweets etc should all be replaced by healthier alternatives

ReputationRep:
    Well i very easily burn 1,000+ kcals a day:

13 mile commute to school - 600 kcals
    Gym - 300 kcals
    Normal daily activity - 300 kcals
    how are you calculating these?

There are Studies have found that doing 4 sets of 8 deadlifts with 175 kilograms burns about 100 calories. That's somebody with a large amount of muscle. 300 calories in a gym session is...quite a lot, unless you're doing cardio.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes and by your daily activities. Do not count calories. For a start, just cut all processed food which should be easy. Fast food, processed meat, sweets etc should all be replaced by healthier alternatives

Weight loss is achieved bia a calorific deficit period.
    Knwing how many calories you are consuming is the most effective way of determining whether you are at deficit or not.

ReputationRep:
    I know more than you
    Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    It takes me about 4000 calories to feel satiated. I can eat like a machine.

I need about 2100 calories to be in a significant deficit to lose weight each week. If I wasn't counting calories, I'd be screwed.
    Well you must be eating 4000 kcals of complete processed rubbish. If you are counting junk/processed food on MfP, you are completely defeating its' purpose.

ReputationRep:
    Well you must be eating 4000 kcals of complete processed rubbish. If you are counting junk/processed food on MfP, you are completely defeating its' purpose.
    Nope, no junk food. Processed food yeah, but that depends on your definition of processed. Whey protein for example is processed.

A nice balance of saturated/mono fats, fresh meats like chicken /beef, carbs like sweet tater/rice/quinoa. Fibre too.

When I get a huge amount of calories is when I cook proper meals that extend beyond the basic steamed veg and grilled chicken breast.

ReputationRep:
    how are you calculating these?

There are Studies have found that doing 4 sets of 8 deadlifts with 175 kilograms burns about 100 calories. That's somebody with a large amount of muscle. 300 calories in a gym session is...quite a lot, unless you're doing cardio.
    Well i'm not sure what studies you've been reading lately but the study is basing the amount of calories burnt solely on the glucose-devried ATP production at the gym and didn't account for things such as protein biosythesis..

ReputationRep:
    Nope, no junk food. Processed food yeah, but that depends on your definition of processed. Whey protein for example is processed.

A nice balance of saturated/mono fats, fresh meats like chicken /beef, carbs like sweet tater/rice/quinoa. Fibre too.

When I get a huge amount of calories is when I cook proper meals that extend beyond the basic steamed veg and grilled chicken breast.
    Well i'll give you advice.. Eating 4,000 kcal on a high carb low fat plant based diet (not necessarily vegan) is near enough impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'll give you advice.. Eating 4,000 kcal on a high carb low fat plant based diet (not necessarily vegan) is near enough impossible.
    Thanks for the 'advice'.

I'm not on a high carb low at plant based diet...but thanks....

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I am currently 133 pounds and want to lose 6 pounds. So i went to the gym twice last week and spend around 1hr 45mins there. i would lose 200 calories on the cross trainer, 700 on the spinning cycle and 150 on the treadmill at a incline of 6 as running hurts my knees so just walk on that.
    Plus i burn 200 from walking.
    Is this healthy?
    If you wanna lose weight - be it through controlling your diet or exercising or whatever - the key is sustainability. If your regime ain't sustainable you'll just end up putting the weight back on. So could you do that, say 4 times a week every week? If you can then great, it's perfectly healthy, just make sure you don't injure yourself (I'd invest in a pair of proper running shoes, they do wonders for your knees and ankles).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the 'advice'.

I'm not on a high carb low at plant based diet...but thanks....
    I'm on a plant based diet and i eat chicken etc aswell. The point i'm trying to make is you'll feel more satiated on less calories on a HCLF diet

ReputationRep:
    You are already burning somewhere around 2000 Calories daily just by living! This energy requirement can be referred to as your resting metabolic rate, and you may even burn significantly more than this.

ReputationRep:
    Join a gym class like spin/step aerobics? You will have more fun and you would still lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a plant based diet and i eat chicken etc aswell. The point i'm trying to make is you'll feel more satiated on less calories on a HCLF diet
    Satiation is subjective. I get plenty of fat/fiber and I'm still hungry. I'm always hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Satiation is subjective. I get plenty of fat/fiber and I'm still hungry. I'm always hungry.
    replace fat with carbs and you will not.

ReputationRep:
    replace fat with carbs and you will not.
    Seems like you know my body better than me!

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you know my body better than me!
    I do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.