The Student Room Group

Studying on a low budget and social life in Cambridge

When reading about people describing their life in Cambridge, a recurring theme I notice is that people seem to go out a lot; clubbing weekly, drinks in pubs and meals in restaurants. This is all expensive and I think it is fair to say that most students in Cambridge live above the average British student income.

Is it possible to live in Cambridge on a low budget? Will I still be able to participate in social life if I cannot go out regularly for drinks in pubs? Are there a lot of students who are self-funding their studies (as opposed to living on parental income)?
Reply 1
Original post by eniet
When reading about people describing their life in Cambridge, a recurring theme I notice is that people seem to go out a lot; clubbing weekly, drinks in pubs and meals in restaurants. This is all expensive and I think it is fair to say that most students in Cambridge live above the average British student income.

Is it possible to live in Cambridge on a low budget? Will I still be able to participate in social life if I cannot go out regularly for drinks in pubs? Are there a lot of students who are self-funding their studies (as opposed to living on parental income)?

One thing to remember is the accomodation costs can be significantly lower than for other unis. Partly due to the short terms.

So that should free up some of your student funding for "living costs".
Reply 2
Lots of students are on low budgets and have little or no financial parental support. College bars are often subsidised and therefore drinks are cheap, likewise formal hall is probably the most frequent "meal out" for most students, which does not cost much either. Student club nights are a few quid to get in and a lot of people will pre-drink so don't have to buy many (or any) drinks once they're there. They're not drinking champagne and dining at the Ivy every night! I am not aware of any evidence that Cambridge student life is more expensive than any other southern city, and certainly is cheaper than London.

Remember that rent costs are often lower than average, plus you only have to pay rent in term-time whereas at many other unis once you move out of halls you'll be paying a yearly contract. Transport costs are minimal if you have a bike or walk everywhere. The amazing library provisions mean that you very rarely have to buy books, and most colleges have some kind of book grant so you can claim some of your expenditure back. And there are lots of bursaries for people on a lower income, so you really shouldn't let finances be an obstacle.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending