Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A degree in International Relations? Advice needed! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have always been interested in Politics and Social Conflict and after my research in the field of International Relations, it is definitely a subject which interests me very deeply. However, my worry is whether it is recognized when it comes to employment. My goal is to work for the Foreign Office, or join the Diplomatic Service, or the United Nations. A job where I have to travel a lot.

I have worked really really hard to get good grades on my GCSEs and A-Levels. Now I am worried whether studying International Relations would not be worth it. I REALLY REALLY wanna study it, It excites on so many levels. I have also done an introduction course on Interational Relations, and I fell in love with it.

I am aiming really high for my job prospects, but I also wanna study International Relations. I dont wanna waste my time studying some degree which I am not passionate about and force myself to study. Uni should be about developing your passion.Right?

What do you think?

Please I need advice!

ReputationRep:
    No one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NarcissisticBoy)
    No one?
    It's been 15 minutes, jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speckle)
    It's been 15 minutes, jeez.
    Well I am so worried.
    Do you think a degree in International Relations can get me a job in Diplomacy or the United Nations?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there- I don't see why it should be harmful to your prospects if you study the subject at a high tier university like Oxbridge. Some other subjects in the social sciences appear to be more employable- i.e. the ones where you develop technical skills like economics, but if you're not good at maths it may not be right for you. So I would definitely consider international relations so long as you get into a really good university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnydespair)
    Hi there- I don't see why it should be harmful to your prospects if you study the subject at a high tier university like Oxbridge. Some other subjects in the social sciences appear to be more employable- i.e. the ones where you develop technical skills like economics, but if you're not good at maths it may not be right for you. So I would definitely consider international relations so long as you get into a really good university
    I am from Germany and we don't have recognized universities and I cant afford to go to Oxbridge or the UK. There are many universities here in Germany who offer International Relations in English,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.