Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a job in a primary (KS1) and was wondering what to include. I've written a draft but my uni hasn't been very helpful with the application process. The key question is: do I include my hobbies?
    Main sections I've set up so far are: Current and Past Experiences, Additional Educational Interests and Hobbies. I know uni have said that we should mention it but it feels a little like I'm setting up a dating profile! I've tried to relate each part I've said with what it means for my career.

Also I've said although teaching is great, these hobbies allow me to take some time to relax (in so many words of course!) - should I say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glitterphobia)
    Also I've said although teaching is great, these hobbies allow me to take some time to relax (in so many words of course!) - should I say that?
    My opinion is that only include them if they add something to your appeal- e.g. volunteering at a charity or coaching a team, or specific to your subject. Stuff like baking/jogging is great but doesn't really demonstrate your ability to be a great teacher (therefor it wastes valuable space on applications that could be used for skills that do demonstrate this). If they really want to know what you get up to in your free time, they will ask in the interview.

However, this is just what I've been told from my research and asking for help with my own CV from teaching friends and family! Some people might say otherwise.

Edit: just seen you said "ve tried to relate each part I've said with what it means for my career" which I think is more than suitable :-)

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried asking on the TES forums? There are a lot of headteachers on there who could let you know what they expect when it comes to applications. Good luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alymau)
    Have you tried asking on the TES forums? There are a lot of headteachers on there who could let you know what they expect when it comes to applications. Good luck!
    I have but they've linked me to pre-written pages that don't seem to go into that much detail about the sections to include! Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ClaudiaHarriet)
    My opinion is that only include them if they add something to your appeal- e.g. volunteering at a charity or coaching a team, or specific to your subject. Stuff like baking/jogging is great but doesn't really demonstrate your ability to be a great teacher (therefor it wastes valuable space on applications that could be used for skills that do demonstrate this). If they really want to know what you get up to in your free time, they will ask in the interview.

However, this is just what I've been told from my research and asking for help with my own CV from teaching friends and family! Some people might say otherwise.

Edit: just seen you said "ve tried to relate each part I've said with what it means for my career" which I think is more than suitable :-)

Brilliant, thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Just realised you are applying for NQT.

I agree with the above.

Is there a word limit? A few lines wouldn't hurt if its not meaning you're cutting back important info elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I recently applied for an NQT post and included a small section about my interests outside school. I was told that it shows a rounded person, instead of someone who has nothing outside school. I've been told by so many people that having a work-life balance is important, and that it is good to show that you can manage it.

While my interview was for my main placement school and they already knew me, it was somewhat useful to be able to refer to my hobbies mentioned in my personal statement. When they asked about extra-curricular activities, I said that from my hobbies I couldn't think of a way to easily bring them into school, but that I'd be more than happy to help out with any that currently occur, and that maybe one day I could think of something I could bring as an individual... or something to that effect!

A few of my course mates have also applied recently and been offered places, and I think they also included their outside hobbies. But like I said, only very small sections about them, unless directly relevant to school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.