Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if it's common for grad entry medics to earn money during their degree (care assistants or regular student jobs etc)? I'll be applying after a gap year from uni where I'm going to work and save as much as I can, but it would be nice to have some income during the course. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patty Hurley)
    Does anyone know if it's common for grad entry medics to earn money during their degree (care assistants or regular student jobs etc)? I'll be applying after a gap year from uni where I'm going to work and save as much as I can, but it would be nice to have some income during the course. Thanks!
    Kind of depends where you study, as some courses are a lot more intense than others. I'm 1st year gem and personally haven't wanted to spend the time working during term, although I'll definitely have to work over the summer, but there are people in my year who do some part time work. It's personal, depends what your previous degree is, what other extra-curricular a you do etc, how much extra studying you need to do, etc. Bear in mind that once you're into clinicals you'll have much less, if not no time for part time working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard the course is just too full on to allow time for a part time job alongside it. Perhaps doing some summer and Christmas type temp work would be an alternative option?

ReputationRep:
    At Warwick I'd say it's possible to work first year at weekends, if you can find flexible work. I don't, but I think the time is there if you work efficiently. I've heard first part of second year is probably ok too. After that, with 'full-time' clinical placements, it's probably too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    At Warwick....
    Just a quickie- are the Warwick fees all payable when you enrol or can the £3.5k be spread out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    Just a quickie- are the Warwick fees all payable when you enrol or can the £3.5k be spread out?
    Spread out. £1732.50 in first term, then 866.25 for 2nd and 3rd term

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.