The Student Room Group

This is disgusting, can the meat industry ever be humane?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiddyDec
Sense has not been made.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin: All meat is poison some more than others:wink:
Original post by PoisonedMeat
:biggrin: All meat is poison some more than others:wink:

Why would that make you a veterinarian?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would that make you a veterinarian?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin: sodding auto correct on an iPad (and yes I didn't actually read the reply:u:)
:biggrin: sodding auto correct on an iPad (and yes I didn't actually read the reply:u:)

How is all meat poison?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is all meat poison?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could go into a list of the health issues you can get from eating meat or from all the issues it causes if not cooked correctly or the morality of the farming system but I shan't for now

(give me time an you'll get to know my views)
No it can't. And free range or ethical meat is not addressing much. So-called ethical dairy for example necessarily involves the slaughtering of male calves (since you need to sell the milk that was intended for them and they won't be producing milk for you). It necessarily involves impregnating cows on a regular basis for this process to continue. The cow lives to be impregnated, have her babies slaughtered early so they don't drain the milk and then impregnated again (calves killed again) so she keeps producing milk for the business, etc.

Ethical meat, dairy or even eggs cannot be mass produced. You can have pigs, chickens or cows raised ethically and wait until they're old enough to kill them off painlessly. I think that's probably ethical even though I recognise you're still treating animals as property, not as living beings (which is a problem). But that would mean that you'd have to wait until the cow is like what, 18 years old? 15 years old? before you can slaughter her for her meat. I don't think that's a viable business plan.
I think then that it's fair to conclude that even if it is possible to produce met ethically, doing so would spell the end of the meat industry and most people would not have access to it. So it's not gonna happen any time soon, people love meat

P.S. I'm a meat eater, I'm eating chicken as I'm typing this so don't think I am being self-righteous. I kind of hate myself tbh.
(edited 8 years ago)
I could go into a list of the health issues you can get from eating meat or from all the issues it causes if not cooked correctly or the morality of the farming system but I shan't for now

(give me time an you'll get to know my views)

Morality is a pointless argument since morality is subjective.
Morality is a pointless argument since morality is subjective.

True but as we each have our own morality we can argue from that perspective

but I believe there are some fundamental truths that we can all use as a starting point.
Original post by Sisuphos
for example necessarily involves the slaughtering of male calves (since you need to sell the milk that was intended for them and they won't be producing milk for you).

I kind of hate myself tbh.

The age old method of killing male calves is not the preferred method anymore. It is much more common for these calves to be weaned and sold to be fattened and slaughtered for beef as we do not have high demand for beef. This is one of the reasons most dairy units have holstein-friesians as they are dual purpose breeds. Coupled with the high volume milk production.

Also lol at hating yourself and doing nothing about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The age old method of killing male calves is not the preferred method anymore. It is much more common for these calves to be weaned and sold to be fattened and slaughtered for beef as we do not have high demand for beef. This is one of the reasons most dairy units have holstein-friesians as they are dual purpose breeds. Coupled with the high volume milk production.

Also lol at hating yourself and doing nothing about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, not killed as calves, killed 1 year later. Not seeing the "ethical" bit in the least.

Was a joke. Sort of.
Original post by Sisuphos
Right, not killed as calves, killed 1 year later. Not seeing the "ethical" bit in the least.

Was a joke. Sort of.

They are killed for a purpure better than being killed and going to waste.

There are very few things worse in this world than a hypocriticwl meat eater.
They are killed for a purpure better than being killed and going to waste.

There are very few things worse in this world than a hypocriticwl meat eater.

No they are not. They are bred for this reason, they probably wouldn't exist at all had their mothers not been artificially inseminated to produce them.

There is no hypocrisy. One might accept that eating meat is immoral and regard himself as doing something immoral when he's eating meat. I'm not sure I'm on that category but if I am, I'm more like someone who's doing something immoral rather than a hypocrite.
Well unfortunately if we were to follow less intensive methods then there won't be enough food. This isn't a new thing (guy in ICT when I was in yr 11 decided to watch a video of intensive methods for laughs, the chicks that were useless were just blended).
I don't think killing meat which is obviously how you will be able to eat it anyway is the gross part of the food industry.

I think it's the ingredients that are killing people slowly, like loads of Msg and high fructose corn syrup and other random crap.
Also apparently there's unsanitary ways to clean the meat like not properly cleaning faecal matter.
Original post by greatguy231
So putting animals in a cage is ok.

Maybe we should put you in a cage and see how you feel. :angry:

Yes, animals in a cage is okay. Have you not owned a hamster, dog, cat or other small house pet before in your life? Do you place them in cages or let them roam around the house pooping everywhere? So it only shocking when chicks are in cages yet when a dog or hamster in a cage it does not bother you at all? Do you consider dogs in cages at the dog adoption places inhumane?

I agree. Maybe you should be placed in a cage then we'll see if is really "inhumane" to place animals in cages while you might of been guilty doing the exact thing but complain after seeing chicks in a cages like there is really should be a double standard. If seeing chicks in cages is inhumane to you I wonder what else is "inhumane" to you. A dog on a leash?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by greatguy231
Are you saying its ok to kill them?
Yes. Because that is the only reason they were born.
Original post by Macy1998
Yes, animals in a cage is okay. Have you not owned a hamster, dog, cat or other small house pet before in your life? Do you place them in cages or let them roam around the house pooping everywhere? So it only shocking when chicks are in cages yet when a dog or hamster in a cage it does not bother you at all? Do you consider dogs in cages at the dog adoption places inhumane?

I agree. Maybe you should be placed in a cage then we'll see if is really "inhumane" to place animals in cages while you might of been guilty doing the exact thing but complain after seeing chicks in a cages like there is really should be a double standard. If seeing chicks in cages is inhumane to you I wonder what else is "inhumane" to you. A dog on a leash?

ok maybe I didn't make myself clear enough yank girl.

Is placing animals in cages in cramped conditions like this ok?

Spoiler

#

Seriously that is disgusting. You cant even move at all and many are basically getting squished but oh it doesn't matter 'because they are just stupid chicken man they have no feelings duuhhhhhhh'. If you going to kill an animal at least dont make it suffer in conditions like this throughout its life.

Newsflash genius. All humans are animals (not just me) so we could put you in a case also and see how animals react.

Its the treatment of farm animals that made me realise how hypocritical humans can be.
Original post by greatguy237

Spoiler

#

Seriously that is disgusting. You cant even move at all and many are basically getting squished but oh it doesn't matter 'because they are just stupid chicken man they have no feelings duuhhhhhhh'. If you going to kill an animal at least dont make it suffer in conditions like this throughout its life.

Newsflash genius. All humans are animals (not just me) so we could put you in a case also and see how animals react.

Its the treatment of farm animals that made me realise how hypocritical humans can be.

When was that picture taken?

Have you visited many farms? I ask because the battery farming is illegal in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as my food tastes great I shouldn't be too concerned.
Original post by greatguy237

Spoiler

#

You did not make yourself clear at all, so thank you for trying.
Yes, I thank its perfectly fine. They're going to die anyway so what's the point giving them the fancy treatment, right? I seen "worse" and it was "real". This is just basically locking them up. True, humans are animals but hey we humans are on the top of the food chain. We're just doing what the predators beneath us do which is cornering our prey. Those chicken must of made delicious wings.

Uhhhh...haven't humans always been hypocritical? Or did you see chicks in a cage and just thought to yourself "man, humans are hypocritical!"? So its the treatment of certain animals that made you realize that or it crossed your mind before?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending