Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone done a GCSE statistics coursework before?? if you have please tell me because i really need help on it - pm me if you can please!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    Hi has anyone done a GCSE statistics coursework before?? if you have please tell me because i really need help on it - pm me if you can please!
    Hi, I think it would help everyone if you told us what exam board and what kind of help you actually need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Hi, I think it would help everyone if you told us what exam board and what kind of help you actually need.
    Ok, so basically my investigation theme is on books, i need to test 3 hypothesis and prove them right or wrong i have a list of hypothesis to choose from, my first is

1.) boys and girls prefer to read different types of books - in order to prove this i made a line diagram on graph paper and put the amount of people i am going to test on the y axis and the book genres on the x axis and to see the difference between the two i put boys and girls in different colours

now i need to do a third hypothesis and second hypothesis - these two are difficult for me to choose because in order to prove them right or wrong i need to use formulas that is used by higher tier students only e.g Variance, standard deviation, spearmans rank coefficient, mean of frequency distribution or mean of a grouped frequency distribution

other than just that i will need to use box plots and other diagrams - i need to use appropriate diagrams therefore my question needs to link with a technique as shown above which only H tier students are capable of using

SOME examples of different hypothesis i can use are:

do the times taken for people to read a page of a book compare
    how do the number of pages and the weights of books compare
    the amount of punctuation used in a book varies with different genres

please show me an example where i can use a diagram and higher tier technique to prove a second and third hypothesis

i am doing Edexcel GCSE - can someone give me their example if possible ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    Ok, so basically my investigation theme is on books, i need to test 3 hypothesis and prove them right or wrong i have a list of hypothesis to choose from, my first is

1.) boys and girls prefer to read different types of books - in order to prove this i made a line diagram on graph paper and put the amount of people i am going to test on the y axis and the book genres on the x axis and to see the difference between the two i put boys and girls in different colours

now i need to do a third hypothesis and second hypothesis - these two are difficult for me to choose because in order to prove them right or wrong i need to use formulas that is used by higher tier students only e.g Variance, standard deviation, spearmans rank coefficient, mean of frequency distribution or mean of a grouped frequency distribution

other than just that i will need to use box plots and other diagrams - i need to use appropriate diagrams therefore my question needs to link with a technique as shown above which only H tier students are capable of using

SOME examples of different hypothesis i can use are:

do the times taken for people to read a page of a book compare
    how do the number of pages and the weights of books compare
    the amount of punctuation used in a book varies with different genres

please show me an example where i can use a diagram and higher tier technique to prove a second and third hypothesis

i am doing Edexcel GCSE - can someone give me their example if possible ?
    For higher tier stuff in your first hypothesis you could use a chi-squared test.

I feel like telling you what hypothesis to choose would be against the spirit of coursework however.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.