Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to take off hijab but don't know how to break it to family Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I find this hilarious coming from someone under anon. If that's the belief you have then say it loud and proud.

And she doesn't have to wear the hijab if she doesn't want to. Sometimes parents are wrong, no matter how religious they are.

You can be modest in many other ways instead of covering your hair.OP doesn't have to cover herself based on some book written thousands of years ago.
    The might be a troll most Muslims don't spell it like koran
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    Why are you anonymous? Are you ashamed of your disgusting beliefs?
    Ye could've just said "Are you ashamed of your beliefs" mate.
    Not helping.
    I'd like to point out that very few Muslims are actually like this - my friend's from a staunchly religious family and she's grand not wearing anything as long as she dresses suitably :colonhash:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by al_94)
    The might be a troll most Muslims don't spell it like koran
    Very true - Muslims hardly ever use Koran because it's not the proper spelling, it's an Anglicisation so non-believers can pronounce it easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I live at home and for a couple of years now I've been feeling very uncomfortable with wearing a hijab. I just don't feel I identify with it and it's point any more. But I don't know how to break it to my family and friends who would feel shocked, angry, ashamed or sad (especially my mum) if I took it off. I tried telling my best friend about "a cousin" who wanted to take it off and she basically replied with disgust and suspicion about motives and stuff and I didn't feel I could be honest with her about my views after that.

Does anyone have any experience of this or any advise? Thanks.
    Do you live in a tightly knit Muslim community? How conservative is your family?

Your best friend needs to get over herself and accept you for you. If she can't do that then you need to re-evaluate your friendship. It's just a piece of cloth, I find it shameful how much stick girls get over it

As for your family, here is where you might want to be careful. Are you at school? University? If they are the sort of family who will eventually get over it, you need to break the news to ten one by one. There will be disappointment at first and you will go through a few tough weeks but stand your ground and it will pass.

If your family is strict and you will face harsh repurcussions for taking it off, try doing so when you are away from then putting it back on whenever they're around. Do your best to move out as soon as you can, whether that is for uni or work. You may be better off choosing a different city to the one where your family lives.

My experience: I took of the hijab during my first year of uni when I was living away from my family. It was all going very well when one day a friend tagged a picture of me on safari wearing no hijab and a sleeveless top. Somehow my brother saw the picture even though I had restricted tagged photos so he should have been able to. He freaked out and told other family members. Now everyone knows that I don't wear it and all of my sisters have followed suit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hijabs are vital for preserving the modesty of women - why would you want to take them off? Your family only wants the best for you, and that is by following the Koran.
    What exactly is meant by "preserving a woman's modesty"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.