Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I currently study Maths, English Literature and Psychology A2 and I have been given an offer of AAB to get onto my course.

However, my AS grades are far from meeting that offer so I've resorted to resitting some of my AS modules. But, my stress levels are through the roof. I don't know how to cope I keep finding myself distracted or using excuses to not revise.

With Maths AS I've resorted to doing past papers but my grades keep fluctuating all over the place from Bs to Us and it's making me feel like I know nothing. A2 is pretty much similar and I feel like with Maths I'm trying to do too many topics/rushing too many topics at once and then saying to myself 'okay I can do this now' and then when I sit an exam question I hit a brick wall.

Psychology AS is alright, but A2 Psychology again the content seems overwhelming and I've resorted to typing up all my essays and getting my teacher to mark them, but I never know where to start as I don't know where my weaknesses lie.

English Lit I'm focusing on my A2 coursework since I need to get a B at the minimum and so I'm revising my exams once that's done but generally it's Psychology and Maths that are pushing me over the edge. Has anyone got any tips how to handle this stress and make my revision easier? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beat)
    Hi guys, I currently study Maths, English Literature and Psychology A2 and I have been given an offer of AAB to get onto my course.

However, my AS grades are far from meeting that offer so I've resorted to resitting some of my AS modules. But, my stress levels are through the roof. I don't know how to cope I keep finding myself distracted or using excuses to not revise.

With Maths AS I've resorted to doing past papers but my grades keep fluctuating all over the place from Bs to Us and it's making me feel like I know nothing. A2 is pretty much similar and I feel like with Maths I'm trying to do too many topics/rushing too many topics at once and then saying to myself 'okay I can do this now' and then when I sit an exam question I hit a brick wall.

Psychology AS is alright, but A2 Psychology again the content seems overwhelming and I've resorted to typing up all my essays and getting my teacher to mark them, but I never know where to start as I don't know where my weaknesses lie.

English Lit I'm focusing on my A2 coursework since I need to get a B at the minimum and so I'm revising my exams once that's done but generally it's Psychology and Maths that are pushing me over the edge. Has anyone got any tips how to handle this stress and make my revision easier? Thank you
    To combat the procrastination make a list of everything you want to do that day. More often than not, you won't finish all of it but you'll find that you'll do more than you would without it.

Secondly take time to relax and chill. If you structure your work with breaks, this might help. In your breaks get away from your study space and do something active. It doesn't have to be active; you could just read a book or make something. Whatever it is, don't think about your work.

Use your stress to motivate yourself to work and when you've done this, tell yourself that you've got this all in hand. Try to stay positive, which is harder said than done but will help everything. You'll get better marks and you'll be less stressed.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

Firstly, don't stress. Just make sure you give yourself a fair ratio of study time to breaks.

I thought I could share a few tips with you. For Mathematics I would recommend to do exercises from books and when you feel confident with all topics then move to exam past papers. Mark your papers as you go along to keep track of how well you are doing in each paper, set yourself target's after every paper so you know which section to improve on before you more on to do another paper.

I didn't study Psychology/English but I assume the revision methods would be similar here's a few techniques I used for History:
    • Summarise the content of each module on one sheet of paper and memorise this
    • Condense theories into 3 bullet points [Linking with the point above]
    • Make a list of significant theories and highlight each one you manage to remember
    • Do every single past paper question
    • Plan your essays with bullet points within a minute
    • Time yourself when doing essays
    • Practice writing really fast
    Allocate your time wisely. Make a time timetable, you could use this Study Planner by TSR if you like. Though if you feel as if your a type to not stick with time tables I'd say you should make a to-do list for every week and tick off the things as you go along – this way you don't omit anything from your revision.

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Psychology, English Literature and DT so feel very similar to you at the moment. I am also retaking all my AS exams! Just make sure you are taking to your teachers about what you can do to make sure you're doing the right thing in the exam, as well as asking for some small past questions every week to keep ontop of exam technique. Furthermore, remember that even though this time is SO stressful and feels like hell, it is better to work flat out for the next 3 months and have an amazing summer, and doing the job you want later in life instead of having melt down and getting bad grades and always having to work that bit harder for the rest of your life!!
    Take time to breathe, take to your friends, and teachers and parents!
    Also either print out or buy a big calendar and put all your exam dates on it, and the days you wont be revising and the days you will be revising, and count down the days so at least your revision is organised, even if the information in your head isn't!!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.