The Student Room Group

Writing a Research Proposal for a Master's Degree in Social Sciences

Hi everyone,
I know this is early but I prefer to start working on this ahead of time. I am a current U2 Social Work student. I'll be U3 in the fall. I will be applying for the Master of Social Work (MSW) next semester. I want to do the thesis option. I want to stay at my current university to do my Masters because I love the spirit of this university. Also, I already have a teacher who has shown interest in supervising me. I've already done a tutorial project with her last semester and I am about to start working as a research assistant with her in a few weeks.I've chosen the thesis option because I already have pratical experience from before the BSW and wish to have a different kind of experience. I want to leave doors open for the Ph.D., just in case I decide to apply for that as well in a few years. I also think it's a better option when I consider my career goals.I already have my topic of research as well.My supervisor will help me with writing my research proposal, but I would need some help. I don't know how to write that and I don't know what it is supposed to look like. It is very unclear to me at this point. I'd like to provide her a draft that we could start working on asap. Thank you,
Reply 1
Original post by CanadianGirl2014
Hi everyone,
I know this is early but I prefer to start working on this ahead of time. I am a current U2 Social Work student. I'll be U3 in the fall. I will be applying for the Master of Social Work (MSW) next semester. I want to do the thesis option. I want to stay at my current university to do my Masters because I love the spirit of this university. Also, I already have a teacher who has shown interest in supervising me. I've already done a tutorial project with her last semester and I am about to start working as a research assistant with her in a few weeks.I've chosen the thesis option because I already have pratical experience from before the BSW and wish to have a different kind of experience. I want to leave doors open for the Ph.D., just in case I decide to apply for that as well in a few years. I also think it's a better option when I consider my career goals.I already have my topic of research as well.My supervisor will help me with writing my research proposal, but I would need some help. I don't know how to write that and I don't know what it is supposed to look like. It is very unclear to me at this point. I'd like to provide her a draft that we could start working on asap. Thank you,

Are you at a Canadian university? This is primarily a forum for UK students...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Are you at a Canadian university? This is primarily a forum for UK students...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but does that make any difference?
Reply 3
Yes, but does that make any difference?

Maybe not. But your options will be specific to your uni.

Anyway I'm also not quite clear what you are asking... Do you want to know how to write a thesis? Why won't your supervisor direct you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just need to write a research proposal. I'm not asking to write a thesis. I already asked my supervisor to help me but I'd like to provide her with a draft or something that I've started on my own first.

Do you have any examples of your own research proposals?
I just need to write a research proposal. I'm not asking to write a thesis. I already asked my supervisor to help me but I'd like to provide her with a draft or something that I've started on my own first.

Do you have any examples of your own research proposals?

Provide literature review/background of the area
Identify gap in the known literature
Propose how you will tailor a study to fill the hole

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending