Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to this site and new to this open uni idea.

I'm interested in doing a computing degree but not going to uni as I want to work aswell and in all honesty I dont think going to uni is the right thing for me but I still want to get a degree. Has anyone done a computer degree from open uni? what is it like? What does it involve?

ReputationRep:
    I think the primary language they teach is Java and I rarely see that on job advert requirements. C++, C and the newer higher level languages are in demand. Your probably better off doing a maths degree with OU and self teaching computer coding or finding a local college that sell lessons on a language for cheap, Maths and coding go hand in hand.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Course...aphics/Q62.pdf

Thats the list of the modules, compare that to a brick uni and I suspect it will make you want to choose something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattmill98)
    I'm new to this site and new to this open uni idea.

I'm interested in doing a computing degree but not going to uni as I want to work aswell and in all honesty I dont think going to uni is the right thing for me but I still want to get a degree. Has anyone done a computer degree from open uni? what is it like? What does it involve?

(Original post by Davidswift9)
    I think the primary language they teach is Java and I rarely see that on job advert requirements. C++, C and the newer higher level languages are in demand. Your probably better off doing a maths degree with OU and self teaching computer coding or finding a local college that sell lessons on a language for cheap, Maths and coding go hand in hand.

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Course...aphics/Q62.pdf

Thats the list of the modules, compare that to a brick uni and I suspect it will make you want to choose something else.
    I did the old style BSc Computing & Mathematical Sciences degree at the OU so covered both worlds. Every now and then Java based jobs do crop up (I applied and got one) but even so it's good to have official recognition you've done a language and can self teach others because once you have got one down the others are ok to pick up and once employers have seen you have studied one then saying you've self taught others is more believable/reliable (struggling to find right word) as some CVs get overexaggerated and LinkedIn can be an exercise in BS!

The only thing is the OU modules were a fair bit outdated when I did them but they've had an overhaul so could be better now but even so a lot of the ground work and theory remained the same regardless of current applications and advances. But I can't be specific on the new modules as I've never done them.

OP if there are any classes at local colleges to you I recommend trying them too, I live in Cumbria so everything is few and far between for me :nn:

I won't completely diss the OU OP but have a shop around as there may be other options to you in your area for part time/evening courses and degrees which may allow you to work at the same time.

And you can never go wrong with maths!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.