Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I want to be a palaeontologist, it seems reasonable to study a palaeontology degree, right? But I'd like to be sure- the course I'm looking at is listed as Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments, and I'm not sure if this is the same thing and could lead me to the same place.

I'm also wondering if it would also be worth choosing a degree in pure Geology (or a joint honours in geology and palaeontology), since it seems like this would have more job opportunities than streamlining my studies into just palaeontology. Would this affect my job prospects in my desired field, though?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elvamire)
    If I want to be a palaeontologist, it seems reasonable to study a palaeontology degree, right? But I'd like to be sure- the course I'm looking at is listed as Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments, and I'm not sure if this is the same thing and could lead me to the same place.

I'm also wondering if it would also be worth choosing a degree in pure Geology (or a joint honours in geology and palaeontology), since it seems like this would have more job opportunities than streamlining my studies into just palaeontology. Would this affect my job prospects in my desired field, though?
    Palaeobiology is basically the modern equivalent of palaeontology, integrating traditional palaeontology with modern natural sciences (mainly biology). Palaeoenvironments is the study of how environments have changed over the Earth's history so it's very closely related (it also involves things like sedimentology and geochemistry probably). You definitely can go into palaeontology with a Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments degree.

Generally speaking, it's not a bad idea to go with a more 'general' degree (e.g. Geology) as an undergraduate. You certainly will still have plenty of opportunities to study palaeontology/palaeobiology (you can choose courses that have more palaeontology modules) but it does improve your flexibility and also you never know, there could be another aspect of Geology/Earth Sciences that really inspires you. I don't think doing a Geology degree would harm your prospects of becoming a Palaeontologist, just make sure you choose Palaeontology modules and you'd probably want to do your MSci project (if you do a 4 year course) in something palaeontology-related.

ReputationRep:
    A pedigree !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Palaeobiology is basically the modern equivalent of palaeontology, integrating traditional palaeontology with modern natural sciences (mainly biology). Palaeoenvironments is the study of how environments have changed over the Earth's history so it's very closely related (it also involves things like sedimentology and geochemistry probably). You definitely can go into palaeontology with a Palaeobiology and Palaeoenvironments degree.

Generally speaking, it's not a bad idea to go with a more 'general' degree (e.g. Geology) as an undergraduate. You certainly will still have plenty of opportunities to study palaeontology/palaeobiology (you can choose courses that have more palaeontology modules) but it does improve your flexibility and also you never know, there could be another aspect of Geology/Earth Sciences that really inspires you. I don't think doing a Geology degree would harm your prospects of becoming a Palaeontologist, just make sure you choose Palaeontology modules and you'd probably want to do your MSci project (if you do a 4 year course) in something palaeontology-related.
    Thank you for the advice! I thought that palaeobiology and palaeontology were essentially the same thing but I wanted to be absolutely sure before making any decisions.

And I'll definitely consider Geology instead, but I'm pretty set on a pure palaeontology degree, I think.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice! I thought that palaeobiology and palaeontology were essentially the same thing but I wanted to be absolutely sure before making any decisions.

And I'll definitely consider Geology instead, but I'm pretty set on a pure palaeontology degree, I think.
    Okay. You've probably done this already but I definitely recommend going through the various different courses involved in detail to see what modules are offered in the later years because that's where most of the differences are. Also make sure you're doing some reading around the subject because that's one of the best things that you can do for your personal statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Okay. You've probably done this already but I definitely recommend going through the various different courses involved in detail to see what modules are offered in the later years because that's where most of the differences are. Also make sure you're doing some reading around the subject because that's one of the best things that you can do for your personal statement
    Yep! I did that way back last year, but I'll have another look around now, I think.

And I've been constantly reading around the subject (of palaeontology, I mean) since before I even started primary school, so I think I'm good. :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yep! I did that way back last year, but I'll have another look around now, I think.

And I've been constantly reading around the subject (of palaeontology, I mean) since before I even started primary school, so I think I'm good. :P
    Good, just checking - you'd be surprised at how many people don't!

ReputationRep:

I'd recommend a degree in Geology, you could still pursue a career in paleontology your broader knowledge of geology could possibly even make you more attractive as a paleontologist than those who studied paleobiology etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.