Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a medical student and I saw one case a few weeks ago and would like someone to clarify:
    A elderly patient presents with a spinal injury after a fall. He had motor deficit of all limbs (Arms power 3 and legs power 0). There were no sensory deficit.

To me this sounds like an incomplete lesion but I cannot pin point which type. Central cord syndrome gives you a picture of arms weakness>leg weakness. Any help would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a single lesion which would give this picture. The complete lack of sensory signs with such widespread and severe motor loss is difficult to localise to such a lesion. Was there any reported motor deficit before the fall? Were there upper or lower motor neuron signs present? After a fall I would think you would need an MRI whole spine to rule out potentially multiple sites of cord +/- cauda equina compression, but even still, the sensory/motor dissociation seems a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, odd. Were his abnormal neurological signs all new/acute? And most importantly, what did the MRI show... ?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.