Turn on thread page Beta

Do you pray 5 times a day? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    A person who spends his time bent over and talking to an imaginary man is talking to me about "unnecessary."
    We don't spend the whole day, praying to Allah. He is not imaginary and he is not a man. His words are in the Quran and that is how we get to learn about him and become closer to him.

I don't want to start some debate all I'm asking is if you pray, your opinions and interpretations are not needed here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    Nah but we have a family prayer at night before we go to sleep and I pray before I go to school.
    Mash'Allah thats great. Praying with others (in Jamaat) is more rewarding than praying alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oil lamp)
    If we take each prayer to take around 5 minutes (often less) then it's taking 1.74% of the day. I don't know about you, but i wouldn't say taking up 1.74% of a day is nearly taking up the whole day.
    come on.... be honest
    each does not take 5 mins unless you oddly only do furdh, it takes 1 minute per rakah
    fujr = 2 +2 = 4
    dhuhr = 4 + 4 + 2 = 10
    asr = 4
    mughrib = 3 + 2 = 5
    isha = 4 + 2 + 3 = 9

total = 32 mins, and that's excluding wudu + dhikr at the end

still though, your point stands , relative to the amount of hours in a day it's not that much

ReputationRep:
    I went to a church as a child where the amount of praying you did was basically used to build a hierarchy of who was the most influential/senior/respected/////powerful amongst the congregation.

Does a set number of prayers in Islam help prevent this or has anyone experienced similar?

ReputationRep:
    There are muslims who don't pray 5 times a day?

why? I thought that was one of the most basic requirements for muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    come on.... be honest
    each does not take 5 mins unless you oddly only do furdh, it takes 1 minute per rakah
    fujr = 2 +2 = 4
    dhuhr = 4 + 4 + 2 = 10
    asr = 4
    mughrib = 3 + 2 = 5
    isha = 4 + 2 + 3 = 9

total = 32 mins, and that's excluding wudu + dhikr at the end

still though, your point stands , relative to the amount of hours in a day it's not that much
    That's a total of 7 more minutes. so 2.2% literally nothing.
    It's not odd to do only the five main prayers. Doing them all is almost the maximum time praying. How often do the majority of people pray sunnah etc.? hardly many.

Even then they are talking about praying 5 times a day so i averaged around 5 minutes per each prayer.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, but there are times where I have missed my Fajr (morning prayer) but I'm trying to make that not happen now.

ReputationRep:
    1.74% of the day. It hardly takes any time at all
    Nearly 2% of the time you have in your life. If you live to average life expectancy a year and a few months of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sai4)
    There are muslims who don't pray 5 times a day?

why? I thought that was one of the most basic requirements for muslims
    It is. Many don't do it unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    That's a total of 7 more minutes. so 2.2% literally nothing.
    It's not odd to do only the five main prayers. Doing them all is almost the maximum time praying. How often do the majority of people pray sunnah etc.? hardly many.

Even then they are talking about praying 5 times a day so i averaged around 5 minutes per each prayer.
    my mum always told me I had to pray sunnah in fujr and mughrib and nawafil in dhuhr idk fam,
    I'm sure that vitr in isha is practically furdh though

yh ik I did say that your point still stands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Nearly 2% of the time you have in your life. If you live to average life expectancy a year and a few months of your life.
    To be eternally happy in the hereafter? I'd take that.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you class as "praying" - I probably pray way more than 5 times a day. Infact, most definitely more than 5 times a day just in the same hour bc for example on a Monday morning I'll be running to my chemistry classroom like ---> "Oh lord, creator of all beings, please-oh please- let me be on time :adore:" despite the fact I know I'm late, I'll be praying repeatedly until I get there and if I had to guesstimate then it'd be like 30 times - It helps that I can speak quite fast. :cute: + I pretty much wish for stuff 24/7. If you're just referring to sitting down and wholly devoting yourself to God for a set period then.. >.<

(Original post by mkap)
    I do yes but sometimes i pray not on time e.g combining dhuhr with Asr and
    You do know that isn't allowed?
    Why not just pray on time not that big a difference in time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    To be eternally happy in the hereafter? I'd take that.
    Fair enough.

(Original post by leavingthecity)
    I went to a church as a child where the amount of praying you did was basically used to build a hierarchy of who was the most influential/senior/respected/////powerful amongst the congregation.

Does a set number of prayers in Islam help prevent this or has anyone experienced similar?
    In Islam everyone is equal and prayers doesn't determine any sort of hierarchy

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler

ReputationRep:
    Of course he's imaginary. There's no empirical evidence of any kind to suggest the existence of a deity of any kind. Anything that's not proven by evidence and is instead a product of fiction = imaginary.

As far Quran goes, we get verses like this one:

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran is nothing but a violent, aggressive book and I don't care about your opinions about my posts. It's obvious that your book is one of the most reviling, terrible, prejudiced, hateful works ever produced. So I'm entitled to mock and criticize you and your book whenever and however I see fit.
    So you can mock me and the Quran just because it is "agressive?" It is not agressive. If a muslim was close to Allah and read the quran, there are many verses that are beautiful and breath-taking. The verses are there to tell muslims the consequences of what happens if they disobey Allah.

Other religious books have verses that explain the consequences of doing certain things such as the Bible:
    Then I heard God say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.”

So why is it only you decide to mock us muslims? The Bible has beautiful verses and so do other books, but why are you being specific about the Quran?

If you actually read the Holy Quran, you might be amazed at some of the fascinating words.

X
    While I agree with what you're saying, you're taking the thread off-topic, and that's a card-able offence on this website.

(Original post by mariam687)
    So you can mock me and the Quran just because it is "agressive?" It is not agressive. If a muslim was close to Allah and read the quran, there are many verses that are beautiful and breath-taking. The verses are there to tell muslims the consequences of what happens if they disobey Allah.

Other religious books have verses that explain the consequences of doing certain things such as the Bible:
    Then I heard God say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.”

So why is it only you decide to mock us muslims? The Bible has beautiful verses and so do other books, but why are you being specific about the Quran?

If you actually read the Holy Quran, you might be amazed at some of the fascinating words.
    Ignore the troll, they have all the time in the worlddddddddddddddddddddddd.

You're always going to get that one butthurt atheist who gets set off by the word "pray"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ignore the troll, they have all the time in the worlddddddddddddddddddddddd.

You're always going to get that one butthurt atheist who gets set off by the word "pray"
    ahaha, this thread was created bc i wanted to see who prayed, it would be interesting to know however this was not supposed to turn into some debate :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.