Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I think I did decent in my GCSE's I thought someone may benefit from revision techniques for each subject, I mainly used A3 papers and revision cards but I found that a large whiteboard also helped a lot! They're £4.00 from Wilkinson's and it will be the best £4.00 you've ever spent!
    I have 13 GCSE's included A's in Maths, English, Science and Statistics.

English Language/ English Literature:
    I divided English revision into 4 sections:

1)Whatever book's you have to write about make sure you know your history on them e.g. time they were written, what happened before and after they were written. I mainly did this by getting a large A3 sheet and creating a timeline of about 7 events and if or how they relate to events in the book e.g. Of Mice and Men- Slavery and how slavery impacted the writing of the book.

2) Characters: I used sparknotes to find the main characters and the i had a powerpoint slide on each one and I did a basic fact file about each one e.g. age, personality traits, relationships.

3) Themes: This is the same process as characters, but instead of a fact file on each theme, try and link themes together, e.g. love and sin or power and corruption as you will have more points to talk about if one theme comes up. Also try and link character behaviour to themes and this will strengthen your essay.

4) Quote Analysis: Try not to just throw quotes it for marks but embed them by saying a point and then introducing the quote as a support for the point you made. Also if you are writing a comparison essay try to have an even amount of quotes for each text.

Science: I had 9 science exams, 3 Biology, 3 Chemistry and 3 Physics.

Biology: I felt that out of the three, Biology could be learnt more visually as it included lots of diagrams and images of organs etc. To learn the diagrams I printed them out blank and then every week I would label them and then print out a new one for the new week and each week I would add information about the part of the diagram I labelled e.g. if I labelled the heart I would write it's functions one week and another fact the next.

Chemistry: I hated chemistry, there were way too many equations involved. I ended up retaking C1 and C2 three times, but in the end I came out with a B, and I did this by once again using my trusty A3 paper and writing out equations and then covering it up and rewriting them, or balancing them.

Physics: For me I enjoyed Physics most as I enjoyed maths. I found that nearly everything in Physics over links so I ended up having a huge mind map on my wall with arrows flying all over the place linking the sub topics. In the exam you are only given a few of the formulas so what I did was put them on flash cards and made my mum test me on them so she would say the formula and I would say what it's used for or she would ask for the formula of something and I would give it.

Maths:

I loved maths and that's probably because I had a great teacher. He never once used the textbook ever (still doesn't even at A level) and taught purely from past papers. I found that after a couple weeks questions were looking very familiar and I was able to do them quicker too. My hardest thing was guessing what would be on the Calculator and Non calculator paper. I asked my teacher what to do and he said go through 4 papers and write a list of the topics in each and you will have a pretty good idea what will be in each paper because they very rarely change.

R.E:
    I found this subject hard to revise for as I'm not a religious person, but I found that for each topic we had studied for me it was, Community, Death and the afterlife and Marriage and Family Life, I created a mini booklet for each topic and religion and I flicked through it a few nights a week and it did the charm!

Geography:
    I chose Geography over History in Year 9, and we had 2 exams and coursework. First if you have more than one exam, find out the difference between them! Once you know the difference you'll be able to determine what subjects will be on which test and what essays you need to know. For me, I had trouble learning case studies as I found them quite boring and they just took ages to learn! I ended up splitting each one into 4 bearable parts:

When and What: Date, Location and what happened

Effects: What's happened as a result e.g. effects of a volcano

How: How the event happened

What to do now: Prevention and Helping the country the event happened in

After I learnt these bits the case studies became easier to learn. Also there were some diagrams too so I printed them out and wrote down what happened at each stage e.g.on a diagram of how rocks form, I wrote down information at each part.

French:
    For French there were 4 exams, Listening, Writing, Reading and Speaking. The Writing and Speaking were done early on in the year so they were out the way. To revise for the listening exam I used to listen to all past papers and whenever I came across a word I didn't know I wrote it down and researched it after. For Reading I turned my phone language into French so I was familiar with the words and didn't freak out when I opened the paper I also did the same process as I did with the listening in the sense that if I came across a word I didn't know that became my word for the day and I learnt it by heart.

I feel like the basic subjects, English, Maths, Science, Humanities and a Language have been covered, if you want any tips with other subjects I also did, Statistics, Citizenship, Catering and It. Hope this helped a bit, I'm new to this and saw a few questions asking for GCSE revision help.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Very helpful, thanks. Did you use revision cards at all? At the moment (I'm in yr 11) my main revision method for the subjects I've actually done proper revision for yet (physics/chemistry/biology/maths) has been to just write out a bunch of information on each topic on a single revision card, and then look over them until I get it. For the sciences I try and condense an entire page of the CGP books into a revision card, ensuring that all relevant info is on there. This method was incredibly helpful, and I managed to get 3 A*'s with it in the last mock (Modules 4,5 and 6 for each science), whereas for the mock before (modules 1 2 3) I got AAB.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I used them a bit but I have huge handwriting and someone who used one card I would use 3 and I never really knew what to chop out and what to keep like i was always worried I missed an important bit. I've always envied people who use them because I can't, well done on your mocks! Once you find a technique that's good for you nothing's stopping you getting great grades

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.