Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently working out at home and it's taking long for me to see results on my abs and while doing squats. I decided I might purchase two dumbbells (4kg each) and I was wondering if this is effective enough for making me see results quicker as I will be applying more pressure and weight on myself and pushing myself even more? I'll mostly need to for squats whereas for abs I'll do crunches, planks, russian twist etc.

Any other ways of getting abs quicker? Any other techniques?
    I just want the type of abs girls that workout have, not too defined just visible but not too much!

Thank you! )

ReputationRep:
    If they are a struggle, they will be fine for a short period of time. However as you get stronger, 4kg each will just not be enough to be effective anymore and you'll need to go heavier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonadeAspire)
    So I'm currently working out at home and it's taking long for me to see results on my abs and while doing squats. I decided I might purchase two dumbbells (4kg each) and I was wondering if this is effective enough for making me see results quicker as I will be applying more pressure and weight on myself and pushing myself even more? I'll mostly need to for squats whereas for abs I'll do crunches, planks, russian twist etc.

I just want the type of abs girls that workout have, not too defined just visible but not too much!

Thank you! )
    You'd be surprised at how much weight you can squat, if using them mainly for that id definitely go heavier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    If they are a struggle, they will be fine for a short period of time. However as you get stronger, 4kg each will just not be enough to be effective anymore and you'll need to go heavier
    Is 5kg enough for each arm? so 10kg in total? What do you think is the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    You'd be surprised at how much weight you can squat, if using them mainly for that id definitely go heavier!

ReputationRep:
    any weight that provides a decent struggle, especially towards your last few reps is an ideal weight. However as time passes and you get stronger, you'll find that same weight is nowhere near as heavy as before and you can bang out 20 reps without a struggle.

If you're planning on just getting a set of 5kg dumbbells, you're gonna have to increase reps as you progress throughout the weeks because it'll be the only way to fatigue your muscles. I suggest getting a set which you can change the weight of e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20kg-Dumbb...QAAOSwll1WvIov

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    any weight that provides a decent struggle, especially towards your last few reps is an ideal weight. However as time passes and you get stronger, you'll find that same weight is nowhere near as heavy as before and you can bang out 20 reps without a struggle.

If you're planning on just getting a set of 5kg dumbbells, you're gonna have to increase reps as you progress throughout the weeks because it'll be the only way to fatigue your muscles. I suggest getting a set which you can change the weight of e.g.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20kg-Dumbb...QAAOSwll1WvIov
    You can decide to change the weight right with the link you provided? Its just I don't know if 20kg is the right weight for me, it might be heavy. My muscles are weak and I'm a girl if you're wondering haha. If I am able to change the weights and keep adding them after I'm use to each kg then thats fine

ReputationRep:
    You can decide to change the weight right with the link you provided? Its just I don't know if 20kg is the right weight for me, it might be heavy. My muscles are weak and I'm a girl if you're wondering haha. If I am able to change the weights and keep adding them after I'm use to each kg then thats fine
    yeah, weight like the one in the link are made up of different weighted plates which you can put on and off depending on how heavy you want it. For example you can put just 2x 3kg plates on to make a 6kg dumbbell, but as you get stronger you can add another 2x 3kg plates to make it 12kg. Being able to increase the weight will help you constantly get stronger but it works out more cost effective than buying single weight dumbbells all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    yeah, weight like the one in the link are made up of different weighted plates which you can put on and off depending on how heavy you want it. For example you can put just 2x 3kg plates on to make a 6kg dumbbell, but as you get stronger you can add another 2x 3kg plates to make it 12kg. Being able to increase the weight will help you constantly get stronger but it works out more cost effective than buying single weight dumbbells all the time
    Thank you so much! Really helped me
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No is the short answer. You'll achieve nothing with that little weight in reality

Edit: 12kg isnt enough to do anything other than curls and some kind of weighted ab exercise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thank you! )
    Best ways to squat at home is by putting a younger sibling on your back or failing that doing lunges with one leg on a chair (puts more emphasis on hamstrings thus makes legs stronger and creates a nicer separation from hamstrings to glutes im guessing you are female, as for abs put your feet under the sofa or just get someone to stand on them and do sit-ups 50 then do a plank until failure and then leg raises... Hits all parts of the abs and requires no weight at all to be done efficiently. If you do get a weight get a 20kg Olympic bar, possibly the best for abs/legs/glutes plus the weight is reasonable and you can then buy plates like 2.5k and keep going up. Dumbbells are useless as once you outgrow them you just waste them, with a bar you can start off with it and keep adding weight and nothing is being wasted. I know 20kg sounds heavy but it is nothing as the weight is evenly distributed and will be balanced on your back you will barely feel it.

ReputationRep:
    You do understand the sort of level of body fat percentage you are going to have to achieve to make your abs visible, right? You can do core work until the cows come home but even a little fat on your stomach is going to completely negate it.

Just making sure you are aware, because it's not an easy goal, and I speak from experience when I say that ice cream is worth it.

ReputationRep:

Thank you! )
    Invest in some ankle weights.

ReputationRep:
    @TSRFT8 100% agree, I don't know why you are assuming it's a female, also I don't think it matters, but an Olympic bar is way more useful than dumbells and will allow constant progression, so I'd go down that route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisClothier)
    @TSRFT8 100% agree, I don't know why you are assuming it's a female, also I don't think it matters, but an Olympic bar is way more useful than dumbells and will allow constant progression, so I'd go down that route.
    I am a girl that wants to get abs but not extreme define body builder abs, I just want abs that are visible but not too much! But I'm going to consider buying dumbbell that go up in different weights each time so it adds pressure onto me and makes my workout more effective

ReputationRep:
    Abs are mostly made in the kitchen :L

ReputationRep:
    I am a girl that wants to get abs but not extreme define body builder abs, I just want abs that are visible but not too much! But I'm going to consider buying dumbbell that go up in different weights each time so it adds pressure onto me and makes my workout more effective
    Extremely defined abs don't happen by accident, don't worry 😝 I've got pretty decent abs but I do hardcore metabolic condition and weightlifting twice a day, and even then I don't have striation or even a baby six-pack.

A small set of dumbbells like that won't really be much different to not using weights at all. Even beginners tend to be able to squat using at least 12kg (a kettlebell for example). Obviously it depends what kind of squat (goblet and front squats are harder and therefore you can't use as much weight as on a back squat, for which you'd use a bar or sandbag) but really, small dumbbells are pointless unless you're using them for upper body work such as tricep extensions etc.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.