coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, it is said in the textbook that pressure potential is the result of cell contents pushing against the cell wall. However in an exam question I did, it says that's caused by the resistance of the cell wall.... Which is is right ? Thanks.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Hi, it is said in the textbook that pressure potential is the result of cell contents pushing against the cell wall. However in an exam question I did, it says that's caused by the resistance of the cell wall.... Which is is right ? Thanks.
I would say the thing with the resistance of the cell wall is right. The resistance of the cell wall is working against the escaping water particles from inside of the plant cell, just to prevent a hypertonic condition of the plant cell where a lack of water (particles) exists in vacuole. In the other hand, the cell content, so water particles, has to push against the cell wall to come from the inside out. This happens when the plant cell is in a hypotonic condition where too much water exists in the vacuole. So pushing against the cell wall from the inside prevents that too much water particles are escaping (and so to prevent to come in a hypertonic condition), just to keep the ideal condition, the isotonic condition, where an equilibrium between water and solute particles inside of the plant cell exists.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (188)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.52%

Watched Threads