Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambulare)
    Hi

Was just wondering whether someone could give me some advice.

I had a reading week a few weeks back, and was asked by a friend if their brother could stay in my uni room for a few nights. Due to the fact that so many students have friends stop over, I didn't see a massive problem as I could trust the person staying in my room.

The brother was supervised by my friend, and it was only a last resort really.

Due to the fact room inspections were being carried out, the accommodation office were notified about someone else staying in my room. They seemed slightly miffed about it when I spoke to them about it, but just said 'just make sure you don't do it again'. They just left the situation there.

Now I've been informed by e-mail I've got to go to a meeting to talk about me 'sub-letting' my room. I am hoping they won't make it an even bigger issue, but is this really sub-letting as no one was paid?

I certainly will not do this again, but I just hope the Uni are not too harsh about this.

Thanks for reading
    He didn't pay you and it was just a one time thing so should be ok. Get some advice from the SU and maybe get someone to come with you. They probably just want to get the facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    He didn't pay you and it was just a one time thing so should be ok. Get some advice from the SU and maybe get someone to come with you. They probably just want to get the facts.
    Thanks for your response. Yeah they've said someone can come with me. Should I e-mail the SU now? Or see how the meeting goes first?

ReputationRep:
    Were you there at the time? Or, had you gone away for reading week and gave someone unrestricted access to your room?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your response. Yeah they've said someone can come with me. Should I e-mail the SU now? Or see how the meeting goes first?
    I would get someone to go with you to the meeting - you don't want to leave it and then have the meeting go downhill with nobody to back you up or make sure it is carried out appropriately. I was accused of something in halls and was asked to a meeting and there were two of them and they were quite harsh on me - luckily I took a support worker from the uni with me and she kept things on track etc. It might have been worse if I went alone. I don't want this to sound scary I just think it's better safe than sorry really It won't go against you so you may as well. I'd check your contract and find anything that they may say you have breached so that you can be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Were you there at the time? Or, had you gone away for reading week and gave someone unrestricted access to your room?
    I was not there at the time

ReputationRep:
    I would get someone to go with you to the meeting - you don't want to leave it and then have the meeting go downhill with nobody to back you up or make sure it is carried out appropriately. I was accused of something in halls and was asked to a meeting and there were two of them and they were quite harsh on me - luckily I took a support worker from the uni with me and she kept things on track etc. It might have been worse if I went alone. I don't want this to sound scary I just think it's better safe than sorry really It won't go against you so you may as well. I'd check your contract and find anything that they may say you have breached so that you can be prepared.
    Yeah. I'm not sure whether to ask my friend whose brother stopped in my room to come? Due to the fact they can definitely rule out that there was no payment involved.

But yeah, thanks for your suggestions. I can imagine they might be a bit harsh, and I understand that. Just don't want it to become a bigger problem.

ReputationRep:
    I was not there at the time
    Even if it's not technically sub-letting that could easily be in breach of contract as your friend's brother wasn't your 'guest' since you weren't there.

Why could the brother not stay with your friend?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm not sure whether to ask my friend whose brother stopped in my room to come? Due to the fact they can definitely rule out that there was no payment involved.

But yeah, thanks for your suggestions. I can imagine they might be a bit harsh, and I understand that. Just don't want it to become a bigger problem.
    Well you may have breached the contract anyway which is why I told you to check yours. It would probably be more helpful to take someone from the SU as they are an independant body who can be impartial and help support you more efficiently than your friend being there and just saying "there was no payments"

ReputationRep:
    Well you may have breached the contract anyway which is why I told you to check yours. It would probably be more helpful to take someone from the SU as they are an independant body who can be impartial and help support you more efficiently than your friend being there and just saying "there was no payments"
    Thank you both for your responses. I think it is probably the case that I've breached the contract now I've sat and thought about it. At the time I did not think because I saw it as a mindless favour.

I'm just hoping it does not go further than the first meeting. What do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your responses. I think it is probably the case that I've breached the contract now I've sat and thought about it. At the time I did not think because I saw it as a mindless favour.

I'm just hoping it does not go further than the first meeting. What do you reckon?
    I really couldn't say - depends how strict they are. It may be that you just get a warning if it's your first "offence" but then again they may take it further. You will have to go and see.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.