Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had genital warts (of which I know of) for around 5-6 weeks now. I am going back to the GUM clinic on Monday morning (right now it is saturday afternoon) as I have been using aldara after having cryotherapy. It got rid of them to the extent where I was almost 100% clear, then I had a period and they spread like wildfire! I'm hoping they will either give me a new treatment or hopefully the next round of cryotherapy will rid me of them. I want to get rid of them not just for my health but for the sake of my boyfriend who I am so madly in love with. He knows about my genital warts and HPV and he decided he wanted to continue and have sex with me.

Just looking for some advice or just people who have had a similar experience, and how long it took for you to clear up your genital warts. thanks!

(Original post by GibGabbb)
    Just looking for some advice or just people who have had a similar experience, and how long it took for you to clear up your genital warts. thanks!
    HPV is extremely common. A lot of people have it without ever showing symptoms.

Personally I had to go back for 4 visits of Cryo to clear mine up and they haven't reappeared in 5 years since.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whatever you do - including nothing - warts on any part of the body do three things: get better, get worse or stay the same. Having a period may well not have been linked to them reappearing.

You'll still have the HPV strain responsible for them, but the body's immune system can usually get rid of it in a year or two from the initial infection.

Until that happens, he'll still be at risk of catching it. It's also possible he might already have done so as most people with it never have any symptoms.

Have you taken him along to the clinic for a discussion about the risks etc?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.