Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This year there are no non white actors / actresses who have been nominated. Is this racism/discrimination or just coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    The Oscars aren't gospel, they're not objective. And the people who judge them obviously decided the best actors and actresses this year are white. They might be wrong, they might be right. In the end it doesn't matter. It's a tedious, self-congratulatory load of nonsense, with a few pretentious arses patting themselves on the back for how meaningful their art is.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly this so called 'racism' at the oscars is, in my opinion, a load of overhyped nonsense. Now I can't judge whether some actors (Will Smith for example) should have been nominated over others because I haven't seen many of the films nominated this time round, but over the years there have been plenty of foreign actors/directors etc who have won oscars purely because of their talent, not ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't care in the slightest, probably because I have my own life and don't need to concern myself with celebrities jerking each other off
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The problem is with casting if anywhere. Not an awards ceremony.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Victim complex

ReputationRep:
    I think it's down to the film producers to make films with more inclusive casts.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone here is forgetting about leo's oscar. *tear rolls down cheek

ReputationRep:
    Hollywood is a propagandist machine for the Jews I wouldn't give a cent to those evil people.

ReputationRep:
    I guess non-whites need to give better performances, in better films.

ReputationRep:
    It's systematic racism. They can't act in movies or win awards if they aren't even given roles to play. Unless they need a kung fu fighter or an african slave, white people have no need for POC in their films. Only to play stupid stereotypes.

If you haven't noticed, the world is white-washed, especially the media.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about it, but then again, that's probably because I'm a white, cisgendered, racist piece of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisolarsystem)
    It's systematic racism. They can't act in movies or win awards if they aren't even given roles to play. Unless they need a kung fu fighter or an african slave, white people have no need for POC in their films. Only to play stupid stereotypes.

White actors bring more money. Producers follow the market rule. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

ReputationRep:

Propaganda this is where anti-Arab and Muslim hate comes from Hollywood!

Think of the timing of all that and the wars in the Middle East. We're going to see a lot of anti-Russian films coming out.

Hollywoods idea of being anti racist is promoting gangster crap like straight outta compton.

ReputationRep:
    Coincidence. Must we really have tokens every year?

ReputationRep:
    Hollywood needs to make more movies about 9/11 imo

ReputationRep:
    I rarely watch the Oscars so I don't actually care about it. Could be coincidence? I don't know. Maybe the directors want to keep it "white" as possible? Maybe.
    The Oscars aren't always an indicator of talent. I think the Oscars are based on popularity not quality. There are plenty of talent actresses and actors that watch their butt off but rarely do they get nominated for anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exoexo13)
    This year there are no non white actors / actresses who have been nominated. Is this racism/discrimination or just coincidence?
    I think white actors should boycott the Jewish control of Hollywood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bisolarsystem)

Are you saying no non-white actors have been cast for an entire year?

To be honest, how do you think this kind of stupid whining is going to affect the situation? I certainly wouldn't be more inclined to cast a non-white if it was going to bring incessant whinging into the situation and possibly a lawsuit. Also you are assuming that everyone in power to offer a role is white? Ever thought that maybe it is easier for a white writer to identify with a white character?
    The same can be said about women complaining that male video game makers are not putting enough female protagonists in their games, but the truth is that people identify with their own gender/race/culture more than others and it is better to run with something you know than take the risk to only be lambasted for it later (and probably called racist/sexist too). So if women want to see more women in video games then they should make their own. And not ridiculous spectacles like "depression quest".

If you want more black people in movies then black people should make more movies that are good enough to hit the standard. Right now black people make up roughly 13% of the US population. If you tally up every single Oscar nominee then the amount of black people amounts to roughly 11.5%.

So essentially people are making a big song and dance about black people being stitched up by 1.5% which in statistical terms is considered negligible.

P.S: The "world" isn't whitewashed. When I watch Japanese TV/news I almost never see any white people. Perhaps your world is whitewashed and that's because you live in a predominantly white country. If that's a problem you can always move to a country with less white people in it and you won't encounter this issue, if you can even call it that.

ReputationRep:
    It's a load of nonsense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.