Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in y11 currently and planning on doing medicine. I've heard about the Ncs and I'm not sure if it would look really good on my personal statement as well as if I did work exp or book entering in a care home or hospital. Please inform me of any experience or benefits. If I have posted in wrong place correct me please.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly does help as it is nationally recognised. It's also heavily government funded which makes it 10 times better. Definately worth the money. Helpmed me be who I am now. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I did NCS last summer and it was fun Most of the skills you get out of it are stuff like team building, organisation and you'll do volunteering in your last week so that'll look good and you get to help someone
    In terms of personal statement, I didn't mention NCS at all, I just asked my teacher to briefly mention it in my reference because I had more important things to talk about in my statement as there is limited space on there.
    If you have any specific questions, just ask I had a lot of fun doing it but I didn't do it for university gain as such, just something to do with friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus;[url="tel:63051197")
    63051197[/url]]I did NCS last summer and it was fun Most of the skills you get out of it are stuff like team building, organisation and you'll do volunteering in your last week so that'll look good and you get to help someone
    In terms of personal statement, I didn't mention NCS at all, I just asked my teacher to briefly mention it in my reference because I had more important things to talk about in my statement as there is limited space on there.
    If you have any specific questions, just ask I had a lot of fun doing it but I didn't do it for university gain as such, just something to do with friends
    The first few weeks sound really fun but the last week u have to do a project to help ur local area. I have no idea what I would do.

(Original post by Muhammad25)
    I'm in y11 currently and planning on doing medicine. I've heard about the Ncs and I'm not sure if it would look really good on my personal statement as well as if I did work exp or book entering in a care home or hospital. Please inform me of any experience or benefits. If I have posted in wrong place correct me please.
    NCS has absolutely NOTHING that can compare to work experience/care home volunteering. Prestigious universities do not care if you were able to take part in team building activites because to a certain extent, that doesn't mean you would be a good enough candidate and wouldn't make you a better doctor.
    The best thing is to find work experience in a hospital or care home rather than wasting money or time on NCS
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    NCS has absolutely NOTHING that can compare to work experience/care home volunteering. Prestigious universities do not care if you were able to take part in team building activites because to a certain extent, that doesn't mean you would be a good enough candidate and wouldn't make you a better doctor.
    The best thing is to find work experience in a hospital or care home rather than wasting money or time on NCS
    It isn't a replacement for work experience or volunteering, no, but it certainly does tick various boxes such as, say, teamwork, communication, etc. which medical schools are looking for. You can't show all of these things by just shadowing a doctor. Either it's this NCS thing (that I haven't heard about) or some other activity - sports, etc.

(Original post by Beska)
    It isn't a replacement for work experience or volunteering, no, but it certainly does tick various boxes such as, say, teamwork, communication, etc. which medical schools are looking for. You can't show all of these things by just shadowing a doctor. Either it's this NCS thing (that I haven't heard about) or some other activity - sports, etc.
    Sure, sports are IMO much better because (hopefully!) you would be doing it for a long time so in general you would be fitter but it also encourages teamwork.
    NCS is something where you go to Yorkshire or somewhere and live away from parents for a week and then come home and do a second task. The thing is I have spoken to about a million people about medicine requirements and extracurriculers etc. and most have talked about the importance of clinical shadowing and volunteering.
    Of course seeing as you are a medical student, you would probably know a lot more about it than me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhammad25)
    The first few weeks sound really fun but the last week u have to do a project to help ur local area. I have no idea what I would do.
    Sorry for the late reply Well you don't have to decide alone, you'll be in a group of other people and during your 2nd week people from community centres and organisations will come visit and pitch to you saying "we would really appreciate your help doing..."
    It could be anything really, but you definitely won't have to decide alone! During my volunteering week we helped an old lady clean up and decorate her community centre

Also, for medicine I feel like actual work experience would possibly be more beneficial than NCS although NCS is a really good experience in itself, but it's time consuming - 4 weeks - so you may not have much time in the summer to do a work placement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus;[url="tel:63071031")
    63071031[/url]]Sorry for the late reply Well you don't have to decide alone, you'll be in a group of other people and during your 2nd week people from community centres and organisations will come visit and pitch to you saying "we would really appreciate your help doing..."
    It could be anything really, but you definitely won't have to decide alone! During my volunteering week we helped an old lady clean up and decorate her community centre

Also, for medicine I feel like actual work experience would possibly be more beneficial than NCS although NCS is a really good experience in itself, but it's time consuming - 4 weeks - so you may not have much time in the summer to do a work placement
    Ok, thanks a lot for the answer and to everyone else in helping.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.