Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feeling lost and worried about my future watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I graduate from Harvard in a few months and I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about what lurks for me over the edge of the cliff, so to speak.

I've got 3 grad opportunities so far - one is as an assistant to a Capitol Hill politician, one in investments and the other in international relations. Not a disastrous set but I've been massively underwhelmed by the results of my efforts to secure graduate employment. I have literally 3 paths to decide between for the next few years of my life. I had been told grads have it hard but I didn't realise quite how bad it really was.

These opportunities are all over the country (I'm in the US), which would mean potentially moving a huge distance (granted, my parents have properties all over America thanks to my father's billion dollar oil empire, but while I am very popular I obviously don't have social circles here there and everywhere). Plus this would mean having to break it off with at least one of my girlfriends which I don't like the idea of for obvious reasons.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of support, but if anyone has any ideas about how I can decide what to do with my future I'd appreciate that a lot, too.

ReputationRep:
    Troll caught within 1 minute kys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazing Egghead)
    So I graduate from Harvard in a few months and I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about what lurks for me over the edge of the cliff, so to speak.

I've got 3 grad opportunities so far - one is as an assistant to a Capitol Hill politician, one in investments and the other in international relations. Not a disastrous set but I've been massively underwhelmed by the results of my efforts to secure graduate employment. I have literally 3 paths to decide between for the next few years of my life. I had been told grads have it hard but I didn't realise quite how bad it really was.

These opportunities are all over the country (I'm in the US), which would mean potentially moving a huge distance (granted, my parents have properties all over America thanks to my father's billion dollar oil empire, but while I am very popular I obviously don't have social circles here there and everywhere). Plus this would mean having to break it off with at least one of my girlfriends which I don't like the idea of for obvious reasons.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of support, but if anyone has any ideas about how I can decide what to do with my future I'd appreciate that a lot, too.
    1/10

ReputationRep:
    Why not take a risk and become an entrepreneur, life is a lot better when you are your own boss and create your own job rather than working for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Why not take a risk and become an entrepreneur, life is a lot better when you are your own boss and create your own job rather than working for someone else.
    I can understand that but what with my dad's fortune (and the money I get from it) I don't really need the hassle and stress of starting my own business when I can just work for one of his friend's with very little stress or risk attached

I might one day entertain the idea of collaborating with my dad in a joint business venture if I think of something though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    Troll caught within 1 minute kys.
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    1/10
    This is a serious issue, please keep your hating to yourself

ReputationRep:
    This is a serious issue, please keep your hating to yourself
    Yes you need to get a refund from the person who taught you to troll.

ReputationRep:
    0/10 - "Would not get trolled by this person again."

ReputationRep:
    I can understand that but what with my dad's fortune (and the money I get from it) I don't really need the hassle and stress of starting my own business when I can just work for one of his friend's with very little stress or risk attached

I might one day entertain the idea of collaborating with my dad in a joint business venture if I think of something though
    What about create wealth so you aren't dependent on anyone else and can choose your own direction in life.

Of course if this background you've created for yourself on TSR is true then thats ok but if its something you're just pretending to be then your actual life might be a disappointment, so how about think about how to create wealth so that you can actually live it for real?

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.