Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which Uni should I choose: Leicester, Lancaster, Newcastle, Southampton or Bangor watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm really just looking for some advice, I really don't know which uni would be best. I'm applying for English/Linguistics some combined with Psychology (Bangor/Lancaster) and I dunno where to go.

I never expected to be in a position to get offers so now I legit dunno where to go. Obviously, league tables matter but there's a lot of context behind it:

Southampton: My best friend goes to uni there and it's a Russell group, but it's their first year offering the course so that worries me

Lancaster: I love the course and it's ranked highly but it's not Russell group and I'm worried about the campus being in the middle of nowhere

Newcastle: Love the city, I've got friends who go there and it's RG but it's not ranked as highly as the others

Leicester: Again, I love the city, I've got a lot of friends there at both unis but it's been falling in league tables. However, the year abroad is really appealing.

Bangor: A lot of my friends say I wasted an application applying there and I should've applied to Manchester but it's location is beautiful, I love the course and it's ranked highly for Psychology.

So from an outsiders' perspective where would you go? I feel a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing because I never expected to get in to any of these places. I'm a bit older hence my friends already being at uni, I applied to Newcastle the first time around but missed the conditions and then Lancaster wouldn't let me in either so to have them give me an offer is a bit mental and I don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Hey I'm really just looking for some advice, I really don't know which uni would be best. I'm applying for English/Linguistics some combined with Psychology (Bangor/Lancaster) and I dunno where to go.

I never expected to be in a position to get offers so now I legit dunno where to go. Obviously, league tables matter but there's a lot of context behind it:

Southampton: My best friend goes to uni there and it's a Russell group, but it's their first year offering the course so that worries me

Lancaster: I love the course and it's ranked highly but it's not Russell group and I'm worried about the campus being in the middle of nowhere

Newcastle: Love the city, I've got friends who go there and it's RG but it's not ranked as highly as the others

Leicester: Again, I love the city, I've got a lot of friends there at both unis but it's been falling in league tables. However, the year abroad is really appealing.

Bangor: A lot of my friends say I wasted an application applying there and I should've applied to Manchester but it's location is beautiful, I love the course and it's ranked highly for Psychology.

So from an outsiders' perspective where would you go? I feel a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing because I never expected to get in to any of these places. I'm a bit older hence my friends already being at uni, I applied to Newcastle the first time around but missed the conditions and then Lancaster wouldn't let me in either so to have them give me an offer is a bit mental and I don't know what to do.
    This is a highly personal decision and everybody will have different opinions. You need to go where you like best and where the course suits you most. One thing I certainly wouldn't worry about is the Russell Group. Lancaster used to be part of the 1994 group along with the likes of Bath, Durham, Exeter and York. The last 3 were excellent unis then and they haven't changed since joining RG.. Lancaster and Bath were on a par with them then and still are even though they are not in the RG.It all depends on what you want. Big city or campus on the outskirts. Very small city Bangor or big city Newcastle and Leicester. if I was in your shoes I would go to Lancaster and insure Bangor because of the courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    This is a highly personal decision and everybody will have different opinions. You need to go where you like best and where the course suits you most. One thing I certainly wouldn't worry about is the Russell Group. Lancaster used to be part of the 1994 group along with the likes of Bath, Durham, Exeter and York. The last 3 were excellent unis then and they haven't changed since joining RG.. Lancaster and Bath were on a par with them then and still are even though they are not in the RG.It all depends on what you want. Big city or campus on the outskirts. Very small city Bangor or big city Newcastle and Leicester. if I was in your shoes I would go to Lancaster and insure Bangor because of the courses.
    Yeah I like the idea of Lancaster, it's probably the closest I've come to having a favourite but the idea of the campus being a bit isolated worries me. Bangor is awesome but I'm scared that I'd be less likely to succeed with a degree from there.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get hung up on league table position or RG status of those universities. Go where you think you'll enjoy it the most and what course you think suits you.

ReputationRep:
    So I shouldn't worry about league tables?

ReputationRep:
    League tables are useful as a guide only. There is very little difference in a uni in 10th to 20th. There would however be a difference between a uni in 6th or 106th. Most of your unis are of largely similar standard so don't worry about that. As far as RG is considered it is a group of unis clubbing together to protect themselves for research funding. Unis like Lancaster and Bath are every bit as good as RG unis. The most important issue is you are happy wherever you go with regards course and surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    Not greatly. They all differ because they weight a mixture of objective and subjective data according to different criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    League tables are useful as a guide only. There is very little difference in a uni in 10th to 20th. There would however be a difference between a uni in 6th or 106th. Most of your unis are of largely similar standard so don't worry about that. As far as RG is considered it is a group of unis clubbing together to protect themselves for research funding. Unis like Lancaster and Bath are every bit as good as RG unis. The most important issue is you are happy wherever you go with regards course and surroundings.
    You've been a really good help! Thank you so much.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.