The Student Room Group

Needing some advice on university decisions.

Hi there.

I'm looking for some advice in regard to my UCAS application. I've applied to read law, and currently hold one offer from a university which was originally going to be my last option (and I really do not want to go there). The others have rejected me, and I am still waiting on Bristol.

However, on UCAS extra, I saw that Kings were accepting extra applications for History, and thought that I should apply there.

My question is, in the view of prestige and future career possibilities, which is the better option. To wait for Bristol to respond to my application for law, or to go into Extra now and apply for Kings for History (I will ring them beforehand just in case).

My results at AS were AAAA, and predicted grades are A*A*A*. As for what I want to do when i'm older, I am undecided.

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
In any case you should ring them up and enquire before doing anything that way you know where you stand
Original post by NOP97
Hi there.

I'm looking for some advice in regard to my UCAS application. I've applied to read law, and currently hold one offer from a university which was originally going to be my last option (and I really do not want to go there). The others have rejected me, and I am still waiting on Bristol.

However, on UCAS extra, I saw that Kings were accepting extra applications for History, and thought that I should apply there.

My question is, in the view of prestige and future career possibilities, which is the better option. To wait for Bristol to respond to my application for law, or to go into Extra now and apply for Kings for History (I will ring them beforehand just in case).

My results at AS were AAAA, and predicted grades are A*A*A*. As for what I want to do when i'm older, I am undecided.

Thank you.

With grades like you say you have, I'd be wanting some feedback from the places that had rejected me to see if there was something wrong with my application which I had overlooked. Something doesn't quite stack up, however competitive law is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
With grades like you say you have, I'd be wanting some feedback from the places that had rejected me to see if there was something wrong with my application which I had overlooked. Something doesn't quite stack up, however competitive law is.

Cambridge post-interview rejection. Feedback hasn't been given yet.
UCL was for LNAT. Got 24/42.
LSE was for GCSEs. A*A*AAAAABBB

Although quite harsh, I can understand why I was rejected from those universities.
Original post by NOP97

Although quite harsh, I can understand why I was rejected from those universities.

This just highlights how risky it is applying to such high profile universities. What ni has made you an offer
Original post by NOP97

So you had Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Bristol.. What was your 5th choice? If you haven't used it you can still add another university. I'd say wait for Bristol, considering you wanted to do law it seems a bit silly to now switch to history. Although Bristol will be looking at your LNAT too. I'd give Bristol a call and see if they can let you know when you find out. Either way I'd wait for Bristol. You can always go through clearing for history and I'm sure there will be loads of places. I helped my brother through clearing last year and was shocked at how many great universities had clearing places and often for grades 2/3 times lower than they're normal asking grades. If you really think you'll get A*A*A Unis will be jumping to take you in clearing so you'll easily find a history degree. Just don't give up on law just yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suggest you take a critical look at your Personal Statement - if you really do have this academic background then a weak PS is probably the persistent deal-breaker, and probably why you are still on hold at Bristol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by returnmigrant
I suggest you take a critical look at your Personal Statement - if you really do have this academic background then a weak PS is probably the persistent deal-breaker, and probably why you are still on hold at Bristol.

It was quite rushed, I have to admit, mainly because I only decided late on to apply for Oxbridge.

Having said that, it wasn't a poor personal statement. My teachers who are responsible for the Oxbridge programme told me it was a strong one. Perhaps it may have been because I didn't have work experience/followed a different format for a personal statement than is usually adopted? I don't know. How far do you believe that would hold me back?

Original post by mizzsnazzter
So you had Cambridge, UCL, LSE and Bristol.. What was your 5th choice? If you haven't used it you can still add another university. I'd say wait for Bristol, considering you wanted to do law it seems a bit silly to now switch to history. Although Bristol will be looking at your LNAT too. I'd give Bristol a call and see if they can let you know when you find out. Either way I'd wait for Bristol. You can always go through clearing for history and I'm sure there will be loads of places. I helped my brother through clearing last year and was shocked at how many great universities had clearing places and often for grades 2/3 times lower than they're normal asking grades. If you really think you'll get A*A*A Unis will be jumping to take you in clearing so you'll easily find a history degree. Just don't give up on law just yetPosted from TSR Mobile
Southampton was my last choice, which I received an offer for, but not interested in going to.
Original post by NOP97
It was quite rushed, I have to admit, mainly because I only decided late on to apply for Oxbridge.

Having said that, it wasn't a poor personal statement. My teachers who are responsible for the Oxbridge programme told me it was a strong one. Perhaps it may have been because I didn't have work experience/followed a different format for a personal statement than is usually adopted? I don't know. How far do you believe that would hold me back?

Southampton was my last choice, which I received an offer for, but not interested in going to.

I don't know why you don't want to go to Southampton or change to History but last year Warwick Manchester Cardiff and Sheffield had law in clearing. It might be worth you contacting these to see if there are spaces available in Extra this year after contacting Bristol. Suddenly changing from Law to History seems very odd but you really need to make sure History is what you wish to study before making such a drastic change.

Warwick and Durham were in clearing for History. With your predicted grades you could contact them
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
I don't know why you don't want to go to Southampton or change to History but last year Warwick Manchester Cardiff and Sheffield had law in clearing. It might be worth you contacting these to see if there are spaces available in Extra this year after contacting Bristol. Suddenly changing from Law to History seems very odd but you really need to make sure History is what you wish to study before making such a drastic change.

Warwick and Durham were in clearing for History. With your predicted grades you could contact them

Well, I obviously want to go to Bristol, but if I wait and am rejected, that might jeopardise any opportunity to go to Kings for History. I just don't want to be left in a position whereby I have little to no options.

As for Southampton, I went there and didn't really like the University. And it was always a rushed decision putting it in my first five choices.
Original post by NOP97
Well, I obviously want to go to Bristol, but if I wait and am rejected, that might jeopardise any opportunity to go to Kings for History. I just don't want to be left in a position whereby I have little to no options.

As for Southampton, I went there and didn't really like the University. And it was always a rushed decision putting it in my first five choices.

going from Law to history doesn't look good. It looks like you cant make your mind up and gives the wrong impression. Also your personal statement is based on law. You need to decide what subject is important to you. If it is law then if Bristol turn you down try other universities. If it is history then reject your law choices and go for history. You are going to university to study for 3 years and you need to be studying a subject you really want to and this thread does not give that impression.
Have you thought of asking Kings if they have law still available or other universities like those I mentioned previously or even somewhere like Manchester, Birmingham or Leeds if are looking at bigger cities.
Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni this year.

So if you don't get the offer you want, take a year out, get as much relevant work experience over the summer as you can, do lots of law reading/thinking. Then when you get your results in August, rewrite your PS from scratch and reapply.

If you really do want to do Law badly enough then another 12 months to get there wont be that hard.
Reply 12
Original post by returnmigrant
Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni this year.

So if you don't get the offer you want, take a year out, get as much relevant work experience over the summer as you can, do lots of law reading/thinking. Then when you get your results in August, rewrite your PS from scratch and reapply.

If you really do want to do Law badly enough then another 12 months to get there wont be that hard.

I was thinking about doing this, but I am already a year behind.
Original post by NOP97

So? Better to be right than hasty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by NOP97

Original post by ageshallnot
So? Better to be right than hasty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Especially if you've already been hasty picking unis and courses you're not sure about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NOP97

Go to a university, any university at all, and have a look round. Open your eyes and you will see that there are students of ALL AGES. Not just 18/19/20/21 - ALL AGES. And plenty of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending