Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First trans student to run for NUS women's officer stands up to backlash Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...up-to-backlash

I really don't see anything wrong with a trans student standing for this position. I am also pretty shocked that feminists are involved in this 'backlash'.

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female.
    You don't have to agree with her Jimbob, and you are entitled to your own opinion Jimbob.

ReputationRep:
    Just shows how much better men are at everything - they won Woman of the Year, now they're gonna be Women's Officer

ReputationRep:
    The Apocalypse is near it seems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Just shows how much better men are at everything - they won Woman of the Year, now they're gonna be Women's Officer
    ROFL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)

I really don't see anything wrong with a trans student standing for this position. I am also pretty shocked that feminists are involved in this 'backlash'.
    I clicked on the article and was presented with the opening statement:

"The first “queer trans disabled lesbian woman” to run for..."

Stopped reading here. What the actual **** is the world coming to?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...backlash#img-2

tbh that dress does not really work for Anna.

something less complicated perhaps:

http://dressesidea.com/wp-content/up...lack_dress.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    And a edf ran competition to get girls more interested in science.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...m-science.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    You don't have to agree with her Jimbob, and you are entitled to your own opinion Jimbob.
    What? Jimbob? What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)

Stopped reading at:

Anna Lee, who calls herself a ‘queer trans disabled lesbian woman’
    This whole planet is going to chit.

ReputationRep:
    It's sort of unfair though. I understand why there's a backlash. Does having surgery or hormone replacement make you a woman? Sort of a catch-22 situation.

ReputationRep:
    What? Jimbob? What are you talking about?
    Why are you confused Jimbob?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you confused Jimbob?
    Why do you keep calling me Jimbob? Bit weird

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes indeed Jimbob, that is exactly my point. I shall quote your original post:

"I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female. "

The person in question identifies as female, but you choose to use 'he' when referring to them. You are fully entitled to do so Jimbob, likewise, though you might wish to be referred to by some other term, I think Jimbob is rather befitting and prefer to refer to you as Jimbob.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's one of those "names which people call someone" type things, like Buster or Mate?

ReputationRep:
    WhAT THE ****ING **** DOES QUEER EVEN ****ING MEAN

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL EXPLANATION

SO FAR EVERYONE I'VE ASKED HAVE SAID THEY USE IT INSTEAD OF SAYING ANOTHER SEXUALITY

SO HOW CAN YOU BE ''QUEER'' AND ''LESBIAN'''

s2Fg what is this WORLD

ReputationRep:
    she doesn't look very womanly at all

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes indeed Jimbob, that is exactly my point. I shall quote your original post:

"I do not agree with it at all- he's not a woman, he is a man who has made an attempt to look like a female. "

The person in question identifies as female, but you choose to use 'he' when referring to them. You are fully entitled to do so Jimbob, likewise, though you might wish to be referred to by some other term, I think Jimbob is rather befitting and prefer to refer to you as Jimbob.
    That is not the same thing. My name is officially not Jimbob. That person's gender is actually male, so why would you call him a female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    WhAT THE ****ING **** DOES QUEER EVEN ****ING MEAN

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ACTUAL EXPLANATION

SO FAR EVERYONE I'VE ASKED HAVE SAID THEY USE IT INSTEAD OF SAYING ANOTHER SEXUALITY

SO HOW CAN YOU BE ''QUEER'' AND ''LESBIAN'''

s2Fg what is this WORLD
    It's ridiculous ain't it. Even worse that it's sometimes included in the LGBT acronym.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.