Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When you love someone but a relationship just won't work... watch

When you're young and ambitious a relationship can be difficult to sustain.

Did you ever find yourself falling in love with someone when you know it most likely won't work in the long term? What did you do in this situation?

I'm dating a guy who I've been friends with for a few years. I'm 21 and he's older, at 29. It's starting to get serious. I love him and I've been honest with him about it.

However, I want to study abroad for a year and he wants to move 200 miles away to start a new job. We are at different stages in our lives. He's not happy living where he is and I would never expect him to stay. I want him to be happy.

I'm not ready to commit to a long-distance situation. Not entirely sure I'm even ready for a relationship that serious. Whereas he is wanting to settle down and have kids in the next few years.

I love him and don't want to break up with him. I've told him all my concerns but he just brushes them off like they're silly worries - but I think they're perfectly reasonable. I'm worried about hurting him or making him even more unhappy than he already is (he has been through a lot recently).

But equally I don't want to give up on my dreams of studying abroad and I don't want to hold him back in his pursuit of happiness. He says he would consider staying in this city for me but I want him to be happy. I can see the unhappiness in his eyes, he needs to go if it'll help him.

It's all a bit up in the air. Could someone offer some advice?

You will not love him forever. Just do whatever you want. Study abroad.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.