Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As an American who may be embarking on a prestigious grad programme in international relations this fall, I've always taken great pride in America's powerful influence and robust presence in the world.

My question to you Brits on this seemingly Brit-dominated forum is: what gives?

I mean, gee, 150 years ago you were pwning the world. Today you could be politely described as the 51st state of America - The Poodle State

Nowhere was the pitiful decline of your influence more keenly felt than in the recent Syria debate you held in your Parliament. You had this huge climax with that bespectacled guy and your MPs went ape, like:

'yeah! Let's do something! We still matter!'

You end up sending like three jets and frankly no-one would have noticed if you hadn't showed up at all.

You've been overrun by Muslims to the point that you now have communities and even small towns with a majority Muslim population, and your national culture and identity are swiftly being erased forever.

You've even all but abandoned your language in favour of mine - how many times do you hear someone saying 'gunna', 'helluva', '24/7', 'thru', 'I'm good', 'touch base', 'a half hour' or 'heads up'

Even your contiguous countries are attempting and almost succeeding to break away from the main.

Granted, the rest of the world and certainly the US think that a lot of the time you're a bunch of tight-arsed snobs, but it's still strangely upsetting to see just how crap the UK is today in contrast to what it once was.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read but I will predict that the op has at at least one point boasted about his immense wealth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Didn't read but I will predict that the op has at at least one point boasted about his immense wealth?
    I don't flaunt my wad; I find it vulgar

Besides, I would hardly describe $5000/month as 'immense wealth' lol. My dad's oil fortunes aren't mine, at least not for the time being anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Here boy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amazing Egghead)
    Here boy!

:run:

ReputationRep:
    You are quite right.

However, for all our failings, we aren't quite as obese as Americans. I'd rather be stereotyped as a tight-arsed snob than mistaken for a beached whale.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.