Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As you can probably tell from the thread title, I don’t know how to overcome social anxiety.

I wear a headscarf hence many people can easily identify meas a Muslim thus some may see me as a threat and stare. I get stares from people on a regular basis and it makes me feel very uncomfortable especially in train stations. My palms become sweaty, my heart beats really fast and my eyes weirdly enough tear a little then I begin to feel faint. I really hate this and I want to get rid of it.

I like wearing a headscarf and I would feel even more uncomfortable not wearing it. I hate being in public alone because I never know how to behave and this only started ever since I started wearing a headscarf (2 years ago) and it is only getting worse (particularly the staring).
    How do I get rid of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    Trust me, they're more anxious of you than you are of them.
    You're not funny. Making a joke like that about someone suffering with social anxiety disorder is nothing but sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    You're not funny. Making a joke like that about someone suffering with social anxiety disorder is nothing but sick.
    I have social anxiety so give it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saminamina)
    As you can probably tell from the thread title, I don’t know how to overcome social anxiety.

I wear a headscarf hence many people can easily identify meas a Muslim thus some may see me as a threat and stare. I get stares from people on a regular basis and it makes me feel very uncomfortable especially in train stations. My palms become sweaty, my heart beats really fast and my eyes weirdly enough tear a little then I begin to feel faint. I really hate this and I want to get rid of it.

I like wearing a headscarf and I would feel even more uncomfortable not wearing it. I hate being in public alone because I never know how to behave and this only started ever since I started wearing a headscarf (2 years ago) and it is only getting worse (particularly the staring).
    How do I get rid of this?
    When you're in public alone don't concentrate on people who are staring at you.
    Remain calm and don't focus too much on what you are wearing.
    Don't believe the thoughts in your head e.g. people are afraid of me.

Be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    I have social anxiety so give it up.
    That still doesn't give you the rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    That still doesn't give you the rights.
    You're right actually

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.