How does Glen eyre compare to wessex in terms of :
    Social life
    Proximity to the business school
    Proximity to the town centre or shops

Which one should I choose?

Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm at Wessex currently.
    In terms of closeness to the Business School, Glen is a couple of roads away whereas Wessex you'd likely take a 10 minute bus trip. Although Glen is in Bassett Green and Wessex Lane is in Swaythling (technically) they both revolve around the same strip that is Burgess Road and the surrounding areas so not much difference here. Not sure you can get the bus that takes you into city centre from Glen, but by the time you've walked to campus to catch the bus, it would have just arrived coming from Wessex Lane so there isn't a lot of difference. I'd say Glen and Wessex Lane are pretty equally matched socially - they're certainly not dead! Although that is coming from the perspective of someone at Monte and not Connaught (Wessex Lane is split into 2 accommodation sites).

In summary, whilst Glen may be slightly closer for the 9ams to the Business School, you might not always be there for lectures/seminars, you tend to get placed all over campus and occasionally other campuses like Avenue. Glen and Wessex Lane (Monte at least) are almost identical in other respects, I'd say put Glen as your choice above Wessex Lane, but to be honest, you may still end up somewhere else entirely as the Accommodation Team try and place everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyZo)
    Hi, I'm at Wessex currently.
    In terms of closeness to the Business School, Glen is a couple of roads away whereas Wessex you'd likely take a 10 minute bus trip. Although Glen is in Bassett Green and Wessex Lane is in Swaythling (technically) they both revolve around the same strip that is Burgess Road and the surrounding areas so not much difference here. Not sure you can get the bus that takes you into city centre from Glen, but by the time you've walked to campus to catch the bus, it would have just arrived coming from Wessex Lane so there isn't a lot of difference. I'd say Glen and Wessex Lane are pretty equally matched socially - they're certainly not dead! Although that is coming from the perspective of someone at Monte and not Connaught (Wessex Lane is split into 2 accommodation sites).

In summary, whilst Glen may be slightly closer for the 9ams to the Business School, you might not always be there for lectures/seminars, you tend to get placed all over campus and occasionally other campuses like Avenue. Glen and Wessex Lane (Monte at least) are almost identical in other respects, I'd say put Glen as your choice above Wessex Lane, but to be honest, you may still end up somewhere else entirely as the Accommodation Team try and place everyone.
    Thank you so much! Really detailed and helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.