Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And so I found myself, walking to University, something I'd never have expected in my entire life, invited to experience a taste of the University of Leeds. With that in mind, what then does the University of Leeds taste like? Well, excitement, awe, and perhaps a little fear as well.

On arrival, the maze of different buildings was a challenge to navigate, and after asking various people, I managed to find the school for my chosen subject. On entering, many of the offer holders were already there, and were mingling with current students. The students were friendly and enthusiastic about answering any questions I had, and were willing to give honest depictions of their experiences.

The tricky part for me, being almost 24 years old and posessing the unending gift of the yorkshire dialect, was the sense of alienation from these students. Every one seemed better presented, more happy, confident and well put together than I could compare myself against. I couldn't help but feel a smidgen of personal innadequacy during my time there, and even when reflecting on the experience on the journey home.

As for the course itself, not much was made clear about what the course I had applied for actually entailed. In the University's defence, they were good at offering opportunities for all of us to ask questions throughout the event, during lectures and during breaks etc. Never having been to an event like that before, thinking of the right questions was very difficult, and I would probably have been better equipped to do so if I had been to a similar event before.

I suppose the point of this little 'piece' is to get my feelings on the experience 'off my chest'. It was an odd experience for me, and to relay it to maybe a few people who might feel the same or relate, would give me some sense of relief. Can I see myself studying at Leeds? At this stage, I am no clearer on an answer to that question than I was before, but taking a look at a social landscape that is so different from my own has been an insightful and awed experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    And so I found myself, walking to University, something I'd never have expected in my entire life, invited to experience a taste of the University of Leeds. With that in mind, what then does the University of Leeds taste like? Well, excitement, awe, and perhaps a little fear as well.

On arrival, the maze of different buildings was a challenge to navigate, and after asking various people, I managed to find the school for my chosen subject. On entering, many of the offer holders were already there, and were mingling with current students. The students were friendly and enthusiastic about answering any questions I had, and were willing to give honest depictions of their experiences.

The tricky part for me, being almost 24 years old and posessing the unending gift of the yorkshire dialect, was the sense of alienation from these students. Every one seemed better presented, more happy, confident and well put together than I could compare myself against. I couldn't help but feel a smidgen of personal innadequacy during my time there, and even when reflecting on the experience on the journey home.

As for the course itself, not much was made clear about what the course I had applied for actually entailed. In the University's defence, they were good at offering opportunities for all of us to ask questions throughout the event, during lectures and during breaks etc. Never having been to an event like that before, thinking of the right questions was very difficult, and I would probably have been better equipped to do so if I had been to a similar event before.

I suppose the point of this little 'piece' is to get my feelings on the experience 'off my chest'. It was an odd experience for me, and to relay it to maybe a few people who might feel the same or relate, would give me some sense of relief. Can I see myself studying at Leeds? At this stage, I am no clearer on an answer to that question than I was before, but taking a look at a social landscape that is so different from my own has been an insightful and awed experience.
    It's been 8 years since I went to a Leeds uni open day and my experience there was similar to yours (although your day was obviously an offer holders' day). I thought it seemed kind of overwhelming and unorganised (probably because it's just so big) and I left feeling unexcited about it. Prior to going I'd actually been really keen on the idea of Leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    It's been 8 years since I went to a Leeds uni open day and my experience there was similar to yours (although your day was obviously an offer holders' day). I thought it seemed kind of overwhelming and unorganised (probably because it's just so big) and I left feeling unexcited about it. Prior to going I'd actually been really keen on the idea of Leeds.
    I am quite interested to know where you did end up going? If anywhere at all?

I had a good nosey around the city itself and I do actually like it as a place, the food is much better, and there are more things to do there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.