Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can people break the unemployed/inexperienced cycle Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    I have never had a good experience witj an agency they are all time-wasters Ive had agencys create fake jobs, you apply then they call you asking "what type of work are you looking for?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Literally is my problem! I've hit so many brick walls with agencies. spent so much money on petrol and parking to just register for jobs they don't actually have.

And they always make you fill out these long arse application forms!! Argh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    Literally is my problem! I've hit so many brick walls with agencies. spent so much money on petrol and parking to just register for jobs they don't actually have.

And they always make you fill out these long arse application forms!! Argh
    Yup I thought I was attending an interview once only to be told to film in a form and they will contact me when something becomes available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    Alot of people who have not been fortunate enough to have a job lined up for themselves upon graduation fall into this horrid cycle.

Cant get a job without experience, cant get experience without a job, there are plenty of articles online about the hordes of people (not just students) who fall into this, and what i would like to know from people on here, is how would YOU realistically recommend breaking that?

I have been told that being unemployed for as little as a month can reduce your chances of employment, recruiters (internal and external) generally prefer to work with people that are already in employment and alot of them wont bother getting back to you once the gap has started to build up

If you are like many jobseekers, you realise that 1 month of being unemployed can very quickly turn to 2/3/4 months, and while you are spending your days trying to be productive with your job search, nothing changes, everything keeps on moving and before long you are 'stuck', by many people's standards your already on your way to being unemployable simply because of how long you haven't worked for, and if your like me, probably got to the point where there are so many jobs you cant even apply for anymore because you've done them all but they are still being advertised.

So to those that found themselves in this situation and managed to get out of it (obviously by getting a job), or know someone else that was, what did you/they do to help yourselves? When i was job searching i nearly offered myself to a local charity shop, asked them if i could just sit in the back all day doing 'finance' work, as i thought it would be relevent, and even in that situation i was told there was no space for me

Some people say 'any' experience is relevent and people should do anything they can to keep their CV going, but i very much disagree, and i may be very wrong about this, but i doubt that 3 months working as a voluntary rubbish collector puts you in a better position to get a 20k job at a top 100 company, but as i said, i would love to hear your opinions on what you can 'realistically' do to save yourself from this before it gets too late
    Go to a poly and do a placement year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have never had a good experience witj an agency they are all time-wasters Ive had agencys create fake jobs, you apply then they call you asking "what type of work are you looking for?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree not ALL agencies are effective as they should be, but there are some decent ones. I've come across one bad one who called me on a Thursday to say that they have a position available and I can start on Monday, but then on Friday they said position was no longer available and they made some excuse saying the client got someone in the organisation to fill the position!

ReputationRep:
    Yup I thought I was attending an interview once only to be told to film in a form and they will contact me when something becomes available.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you get a really over friendly phone call saying "I've found a role that will be really good for you!"

You know it's a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DinduCoffin)
    Go to a poly and do a placement year.
    do poly's still exist?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If the top 100 companies recruit 50 new graduates a year, then there are only 5,000 places a year - probably a vast over-estimate.
    It's more 18-25k. A lot of top 100 employers recruit >1k grads. A lot of them recruit 100s. But I see your point re:everything else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would love some advice here too, as I am in the same position and going mad 😭

The problem is, I actually have paid work experience, lost my job almost 2 months ago.
    I volunteering experience, work experience whilst at uni in customer service roles and office roles.
    I've been to CV workshops to see how to improve my CV just for them to say "oh it's great, I wonder why you haven't heard anything?"

I'm only applying for jobs I have experience in, or take on graduates. I've signed up to recruitment agencies who say "I think you'll be really great for this role"
    Never to hear back!

I'm going mad! I've been on the hunt for about a month now, and honestly I'm at wits end to why I'm still unemployed!
    I've had a few interviews ect, but nothing in comparison to how many I've applied for! 😭😭😭

I think I'm in this loop too!!
    Hi, try and apply for call centre jobs. Try and find recruitment agencies that recruit for call centre jobs I applied for a call centre job through a recruitment agency and I got the job without even an interview I decided not to work there as I got another job and the recruitment agency were actually begging me to work with their client.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Hi, try and apply for call centre jobs. Try and find recruitment agencies that recruit for call centre jobs I applied for a call centre job through a recruitment agency and I got the job without even an interview I decided not to work there as I got another job and the recruitment agency were actually begging me to work with their client.
    This literally happened to me and ever since then I've been in temp jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    I know these sort of jobs are an easier way to apply, and I've heard in bigger companies it can be easier to move around internally to different departments once you've got your foot in the door so always something to consider. Thanks

finally a recruitment agency got back to me (after 2 weeks silence) to say they have something lined up for me after my DBS check clears.

I'm not holding my breath though. once I asked for phone her, (instead of email) the recruiter quickly went silent for the rest of the day 😂😂😂 so looks like it's back to the silent treatment until my DBS arrives again. Joy.

ReputationRep:
    I know these sort of jobs are an easier way to apply, and I've heard in bigger companies it can be easier to move around internally to different departments once you've got your foot in the door so always something to consider. Thanks

finally a recruitment agency got back to me (after 2 weeks silence) to say they have something lined up for me after my DBS check clears.

I'm not holding my breath though. once I asked for phone her, (instead of email) the recruiter quickly went silent for the rest of the day 😂😂😂 so looks like it's back to the silent treatment until my DBS arrives again. Joy.
    If you are REALLY desperate for a jobtake a look at Home Fundraising.. but you would need to be desperate as hell..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are REALLY desperate for a jobtake a look at Home Fundraising.. but you would need to be desperate as hell..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't got that desperate yet.
    My recruiter woke me up though this morning, phoning me for a 'full time position'
    I asked her what days of the week it is...

'Only wednesday'

Seems legit, maybe I will try home fundraising
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I haven't got that desperate yet.
    My recruiter woke me up though this morning, phoning me for a 'full time position'
    I asked her what days of the week it is...

'Only wednesday'

Seems legit, maybe I will try home fundraising
    Agencies do that. Some temp contracts can run from a couple of weeks to a couple of days or 3 months.
    When I was working on a temp job with one of my current agencies they wanted me to work for another one of their clients just for one day...but the pay was less than I got! I obviously told them to look for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Random CV question: Is it preferrable to use the word "and" or the symbol "&" within the context of a CV? For example is it better to define the sector of a company as "Marketing & Communications" or "Marketing and Communications"? Or it does not make any difference at all?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by KTS89)
    You use & only when the two things always go together (in the meaning you are using) eg Fish & Chips. You use 'and' in all other cases. If Marketing & Communications was a single team, not two teams you worked for, then you can use the ampersand, if it was something Marketing and Gardens, two entirely separate teams that you were simply listing, its 'and'. So in a CV it should nearly always be 'and'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTS89)
    Random CV question: Is it preferrable to use the word "and" or the symbol "&" within the context of a CV? For example is it better to define the sector of a company as "Marketing & Communications" or "Marketing and Communications"? Or it does not make any difference at all?
    It depends really, if you are putting this in your profile/overview (where you talk about yourself briefly and who you are) I always use the correct language instead of symbols, as it can really show you writing skills.

However in skills and job overviews, I tend to use symbols to keep it shorter/more brief and to the point. However, once you do this once, you have to keep doing it to keep it consistent!

For example, in my overview of my CV I would put.
    "I am an ambitious and motivated graduate with a variety of experience in the marketing and communications sector."

But in terms of the employment part of my CV I might put as a skill or job responsibility.
    "Monitoring client events and services using marketing & communication strategies"

Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Before i went to uni, i considered 5 or 6 careers. One of them was electrical engineering. I found 5 real engineers [bachelor's degree], and interviewed them. I made up a list of questions: "How much do you make", "where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 years", "what would you do differently, if you were doing your degree over", "what other fields did you consider going into"?? I found two of them to be a lot of help, and went back with more questions. Over my academic career - doing my Bachelor's degree, and later a Master's in electrical engineering, i've asked fellow students whether they had done something similar. I have NEVER encountered anyone who had. Frankly, this appalls me!! HOW could anyone consider spending all that time (and money), and doing all that work, without ANY idea what they were going to do with it at the end???? Best of luck. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTS89)
    99 times out of 100 this isn't even going to register with the person who reads your CV. I think either would be fine when describing a single department, but I would usually use "and" if it was in the context of a sentence e.g. I assisted the marketing and communications department with X, but I might use & if I was giving my job title e.g. Administration Assistant, Marketing & Communications Department.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.