Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently studying maths, further maths, physics, history and economics at AS and I am on track to achieve all As.

I am going to be dropping history but I am confused on whether to drop economics or not. The Cambridge website say that a level maths, a level physics and as further maths is a good combination. However, I will be taking fm to a2 as well.

If I drop both economics as well, would that put me at a disadvantage?

p.s
    I am planning to study physical sciences at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently studying maths, further maths, physics, history and economics at AS and I am on track to achieve all As.

I am going to be dropping history but I am confused on whether to drop economics or not. The Cambridge website say that a level maths, a level physics and as further maths is a good combination. However, I will be taking fm to a2 as well.

p.s
    No, it is unlikely to put you at a disadvantage. They informally only require AS Further Maths because not all schools offer it, but it is obviously preferred to have it to A2. Many candidates will have Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry to A2, but since your fourth subject isn't a science (at least for the purposes of NatSci admissions) dropping it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

p.s
    No it would be fine. The only thing I would say is that you should be aware that because you don't have chemistry in first year you would have to do 3 of: physics, materials, comp sci, earth sciences, biology of cells, evolutionary biology or physiology of organisms, which may mean that you have to do a module you might prefer not to do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

p.s
    You will be competing for an offer with candidates for Phys NatSci who are studying four or five subjects to A2 and who also have Chemistry. Whilst it is possible to achieve an offer, since you obviously come from a school that let you study five AS they may feel that you have a rather light workload.
    You would strengthen your application by taking Chemistry, which allows more options in the first year, or additional further maths. You could consider applying for Maths & Physics and offering STEP. If you don't think you can manage or enjoy STEP perhaps you should also look at the Oxford courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    You will be competing for an offer with candidates for Phys NatSci who are studying four or five subjects to A2 and who also have Chemistry. Whilst it is possible to achieve an offer, since you obviously come from a school that let you study five AS they may feel that you have a rather light workload.
    You would strengthen your application by taking Chemistry, which allows more options in the first year, or additional further maths. You could consider applying for Maths & Physics and offering STEP. If you don't think you can manage or enjoy STEP perhaps you should also look at the Oxford courses.

Oh okay thank you. so by not having chem, would that limit my chances? The modules that I want to do are physics, materials and comp sci. Do you think it is too late to take chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    No, it is unlikely to put you at a disadvantage. They informally only require AS Further Maths because not all schools offer it, but it is obviously preferred to have it to A2. Many candidates will have Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry to A2, but since your fourth subject isn't a science (at least for the purposes of NatSci admissions) dropping it doesn't matter.
    Thats good then. Also since I am self teaching further maths, would that be viewed as better?

ReputationRep:
    Thats good then. Also since I am self teaching further maths, would that be viewed as better?
    Yes, they will definitely look on that favourably.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay thank you. so by not having chem, would that limit my chances? The modules that I want to do are physics, materials and comp sci. Do you think it is too late to take chemistry?
    The opposite of "strengthen" is "weaken". That's not to say impossible, but it is a very competitive.
    I can't judge your ability or school or teachers but I would say take up AS Chemistry for June 2017 as a minimum, whilst keeping Maths/FM & Physics to A2.

ReputationRep:
    I advice to drop the humanities and take Chemistry if possible, at least to AS. AS chemistry is not too difficult especially when many applicants for NatSci take 4 A2s
    If not, they might ask you to explain your subject choices and course choice at your interview should you get one
    I think a few people in 2016 cycle were asked to explain their choices

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.