The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ive got english lit on tuesday with ccea.. what texts are you doin?
My english exam's on tuesday as well, edexcel...
the way i get full marks (in the practise papers that is) is by doing the following when comparing texts:

learn all the super neerdy words for literary devices and put them in SUBTLY!! dont say "here is an example of chiamus", instead say like, "blah blah epitomized by the concluding chiamus.."
ALWAYS comment on alternate interpratations. this is easy marks here... suggest the conventional interpration that atthe end say something like, "both poems are similar in that they connote conflicting ideas" or whatever. then go on to explain your on-the-spot interpration (make as outlandish as you want providing you can justify. dont worry, examiners love original interprations...) and how the poem seems to contradict itself.

or you can just do the boring "another way to view the poem is as a ..." but that's kinda boring.

o yeh, cool lil tip, reffer to the vocabulary the poet uses as either a lexicon, diction or register :wink: and even better, use all three, and just interchange the words when you next need to say "the poets vocab...is..".

oooo also, every time you comment refer to the reader and the fact the poem is designed to be read. shows context i think. say "the blah blah blah interests the reader" and so on.

another tip i find useful, if you find you have rambled on for a paragraph not answering the question, like not refering to relationship, or not comparing, simply end your paragraph by saying "that/those comments show that bla bla bla...." :wink: hehe i love that one because we get lost sometimes in our stream of consciousness...

anyways, hope that helps :biggrin: just ask if you need anymore tips
Reply 4
POST VOLUNTARILY DELETED BY MYSELF
Reply 5
Freerider could you make those notes more explicit as they're quite hard to understand because u done it so quickly.
Reply 6
thanks a lot freerider for that!

anyone doing ocr....

whose doing the opening lines and opening worlds texts, for poetry and prose??
and for the drama, Whose life is it anyway?
Reply 7
SouthernFreerider
the way i get full marks (in the practise papers that is) is by doing the following when comparing texts:

learn all the super neerdy words for literary devices and put them in SUBTLY!! dont say "here is an example of chiamus", instead say like, "blah blah epitomized by the concluding chiamus.."
ALWAYS comment on alternate interpratations. this is easy marks here... suggest the conventional interpration that atthe end say something like, "both poems are similar in that they connote conflicting ideas" or whatever. then go on to explain your on-the-spot interpration (make as outlandish as you want providing you can justify. dont worry, examiners love original interprations...) and how the poem seems to contradict itself.

or you can just do the boring "another way to view the poem is as a ..." but that's kinda boring.

o yeh, cool lil tip, reffer to the vocabulary the poet uses as either a lexicon, diction or register :wink: and even better, use all three, and just interchange the words when you next need to say "the poets vocab...is..".

oooo also, every time you comment refer to the reader and the fact the poem is designed to be read. shows context i think. say "the blah blah blah interests the reader" and so on.

another tip i find useful, if you find you have rambled on for a paragraph not answering the question, like not refering to relationship, or not comparing, simply end your paragraph by saying "that/those comments show that bla bla bla...." :wink: hehe i love that one because we get lost sometimes in our stream of consciousness...

anyways, hope that helps :biggrin: just ask if you need anymore tips

How do you say it so it's not boring.

List of literarly devices please to use in the essay for of mice and men and comparing 4 poems would be great too.
Reply 8
Reply 9
Intresting theory, PeterH, have you thought about adapting it to a stage show?
Reply 10
samy26 wasn't rude, just saying he didn't think doing that was soo boring :P

anyways, yeh, i just find it more boring, that just me.

and yeh whenever i type on forums i rush typign so is full of mistakes.

i like to think of it as my stream of conciousness going crazy haha
does everybody have english lit on tuesday?
Reply 13
yup
im doin AQA on tuesday morning also
Reply 14
mad-cow18
yup
im doin AQA on tuesday morning also

same
Yah, AQA. Which book are you AQAers doing, or are you doing the stories from the anthology? And are you doing Duffy/Armitage poems or the other ones?
Reply 16
We're doing Romeo and Juliet, Lord of the Flies and poems from the Best Words anthology.
I take it that you're doing AQA B then? We're doing AQA A.
Reply 18
yup. B is me.

what are you doing?
Well, for AQA A, we're doing the Duffy/Armitage poems and pre-1914 poems (they're together...have to compare 2 pre-1914 and 2 Duffy/Armitage in one question...) and To Kill a Mockingbird. We did Henry V, The Crucible and Oliver Twist for coursework. And original writing and media too, but they're just for English.

Latest