Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to do with £40,000 Savings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    how do u work full time and attend school?
    I worked in the evenings and weekends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KevinGates)
    I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit
    Almost all lenders require you to already own a residential property. Furthermore, many have a minimum income requirement, typically around £25k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KevinGates)
    I am 19 taking a gap year and have saved up £40,000 from working full-time since I was 16 whilst at school , saving 100% of any money I came into and getting involved in something that I now regret but it made me a huge amount of money for my age.

I am thinking of purchasing a Buy to Let Property with a 40% Deposit , however I know very little about investing and other options. I am looking for a long-term return over about 15 years with regular passive income.
    Impressive savings!

There are several government schemes to assist first time buyers, but they don't apply to Buy to Let - I know that seems an attractive investment, but it would be good to get some advice on it as the Chancellor is making the tax regime on it much more adverse over the next few years and a lot of people are getting out of it.

Other possibilities are the websites that allow crowdfunding of small businesses, small loans to multiple customers and so on. They are not covered by the government's deposit assurance schemes, so you can get potentially wiped out, but they offer a better return than most savings plans.

It's enough to get a reasonable interest rate if invested as a bond, or as a long-notice ISA, assuming you don't need to spend the money in a hurry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.