Turn on thread page Beta

Myth-Busting Mondays: How many men experience relationship abuse in their lifetime? watch

• View Poll Results: How many men do you think will experience relationship abuse in their lifetime?
    1 in 20
    15.41%
    1 in 10
    23.24%
    1 in 8
    19.19%
    1 in 6
    18.11%
    1 in 4
    24.05%

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm also a man who has been the victim of financial, psychological, controlling and violent abuse. I remember once when she hit me she broke her knuckle.... after the apology and how "it will never happen again" I took her to the hospital.

Sitting in the A&E with her smiling away I saw the Domestic Violence posters all with women on using very gendered wording, images and examples. When we were shown into see the nurse she looked at my ex and rather sheepishly asked if she would prefer if they spoke in private to which she declined. After this she asked my ex if someone, for example her partner, had done this to her. Suffice to say I was gob-smacked and she was incredibly lucky the bruising didn't start until the next day.

It was only after the relationship I realised how bad it was. I remember once having to hold her down to stop her hitting me, to which she threatened to call the police to say I had been violent towards her if I didn't let go. I remember the verbal abuse when I got home from work and the accusations of infertility at work. I also was rarely allowed to see my friends as she thought they were a bad influence on me and would encourage me to cheat on her.

By the end I was physically and mentally exhausted. I lost 8 and a half stone and the stress caused insomnia which in turn caused multiple other issues. This December (5 years later) I found out that this cost me my dream career in the military as an officer when it came up in my medical check which is an automatic barring from service. Not only are the memories painful, I'm terrified of being stuck in a similar relationship and the shadow this has had on my dream career of which I put 5 years if effort into is devastating.
    Sorry I didn't loose 8 and a half stone lol that would be a tad extreme.... I went down to 8 and a half stone from 11.... looking at pictures shortly after I moved back in with my parents it's shocking how gaunt my face was.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.