Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get started on getting more fit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to ask for a little advice.

Now, let me preface this by saying, I'm not really by any definition unfit. I eat fairly well, perhaps a little too much sugar, and I have a fluctuating appetite because of health issues. As for exercise, I'm relatively active; I cycle to and from college three times a week (half an hour each way). My part time job keeps me on my feet, and I do tend to be up and about throughout the day when I'm at home a fair bit too.

So, by no means am I unfit, but I'm still not as fit as I'd like to be. It's more along the lines of knowing I eat a lot and that my metabolism won't keep up with me forever. I'd like to start working out regularly so my fitness never becomes an issue.

But I find that with no pressing need to change my habits, I kind of... forget. My schedule is a bit of a mess because of my health issues, college and part time work, so I can't really set an alarm for a certain point of the day and just work out then - I can't really say what I'll be doing at a certain time tomorrow, per se.

I was wondering if anyone could throw some tips my way, such as which workouts to do, times to do them, how to remind myself, how to motivate myself... Anything that could help, really. Thaaaanks~
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What are your goals

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    What are your goals
    Well, that's the thing. I don't have anything particularly solid and achievable in mind like a goal weight or waistline or whatever. I just want to be healthier. In a way it's so vague that it's not particularly motivating...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lyzac)
    Well, that's the thing. I don't have anything particularly solid and achievable in mind like a goal weight or waistline or whatever. I just want to be healthier. In a way it's so vague that it's not particularly motivating...
    If your goals are just healthier; what do you enjoy doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeliciousAbs)
    Pfftttt I work in a gay bar and have proved 'lesbians' wrong many a time.
    I see... But that's not really the point. I want to get healthier for me, not to impress someone else.

And on the front of swimming and weight-lifting, I don't really have access to those sorts of things on a regular basis. Biggest weights I have at home I think are 5kg? Basically I'd be better off with a sack of potatoes.

If your goals are just healthier; what do you enjoy doing?
    As in sports? I like racket sports, but I don't have any friends to go with locally. I plan to start going in September when I'm in university, because I have there who I can play with. I do enjoy swimming, too, but again, access issue.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You either do a lot of walking. Go running or cycling if you access to them.

If your going running/ cycling no more than 4x a week. Walk as often as you want if you choose that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You either do a lot of walking. Go running or cycling if you access to them.

If your going running/ cycling no more than 4x a week. Walk as often as you want if you choose that.
    I mean, I cycle to and from college for half an hour each way three times a week? But it doesn't seem like enough, if you know what I mean.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lyzac)
    I mean, I cycle to and from college for half an hour each way three times a week? But it doesn't seem like enough, if you know what I mean.
    Do it on your other days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do it on your other days?
    Yeah, to and from work when I have it, if I need something from the shops, doctor's appointments, etc. I generally just cycle when I need to go somewhere. I never really go out with the intent of just exercising, I just tend to exercise on my way to do something else.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lyzac)
    Yeah, to and from work when I have it, if I need something from the shops, doctor's appointments, etc. I generally just cycle when I need to go somewhere. I never really go out with the intent of just exercising, I just tend to exercise on my way to do something else.
    That's a good start. Just add to it, after work or so; plan a route (Strava has a good route planner) and go pedelling!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.