Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this sexist to have women only times in swimming pools? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, its sexist. There ought to be a male equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    If a group of men ask for male only time and are denied then yeah, there's a problem. But this is clearly something that's needed.
    Some need it for religious reasons, and some women have had so many *****y experiences around men that they'll only exercise if they're not around. Just because you're not a scumbag doesn't mean all men aren't.
    And really, comparing this to race? Nice one. If white people were consistently harassing and making black people uncomfortable, staring at them when they were close to naked, if black people weren't allowed to be exposed to white people - then yes, you could compare. But that's not how this works. We're talking about gender.
    Good for you if someone of a different gender hasn't made you feel uncomfortable when exercising, but you can't get mad about it if you're not affected.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair,

but you have to understand some women cannot exercise in front of men (for religious reasons) and so many women have been help back by being self conscious; as many studies show women, after school exercise significantly less than men on average, and much of the time this is due to being self conscious. If this helps them, and offers the religiously inclined to exercise freely when they usually can't, it's only an hour or so of the day that men can't go, and if they cannot go at any other time... I mean do you at least see why it's necessary, even though it's unfair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    I dont like that either. If there's women only hours, then what about men only hours smh
    we only go pools to see hot women, so it'll be pointless

There's a girls only time period in the lounge in the college I attend. Like wtf I was surprised, but what do I care.

ReputationRep:
    The reason there obviously isn't a male equivalent is because religions don't stop men from exercising in front of the other gender. It's just Britain trying to become more Muslim friendly :/ and compromising with other cultures. If there are no women only seasons then a whole religion of women can't exercise but if there are no men only seasons no one looses out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeliciousAbs)
    Just say you have a vagina but look like a man and swim when ever you want.
    Yeah man, with all the hybrid genders nowadays you could just say you're veganvapeaglutenfree-sexual and she'd just nod and carry on going about her day.

ReputationRep:
    This just reinforces the idea that men can't control themselves and that the onus is on women to do something about it.

Remember the women only bus idea and how well that went down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeliciousAbs)
    Just say you have a vagina but look like a man and swim when ever you want.
    :toofunny: omg this is brilliant

ReputationRep:
    It's a pretty simple issue of demand and supply.

Why don't we identify why demand for women-only pool sessions exists? If it's because of inevitable harassment by a minority of males then demand will persist; clearly there is enough of it to warrant exclusively female swimming sessions. Another reason for them may derive from women's self-consciousness of their bodies, which on the other hand, can be lessened.

It makes little sense to supply male-only sessions when the demand for them is far less (save for those who are suddenly outraged at the double standard and are banging their clenched fists on the table). How many men can genuinely say they are uncomfortable around women in swimming pools? Maybe I'm wrong, but the fact that sessions are supplied for one sex and not the other suggests that not many are.

To the people in this thread comparing it to segregated shopping malls—you're not half-naked walking around whilst shopping, are you? Yes, you're still in public and still susceptible to harassment, but it's less of an invasion of privacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisieaa)
    However some women are not allowed to exercise in front of men for religious reasons
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it is sexist and pointless. I'm an avid swimmer and thankfully my local pool only has a women's only session once in a blue moon so it never inconveniences me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    I don't think it's fair,

but you have to understand some women cannot exercise in front of men (for religious reasons)
    I don't think that making concessions to barbaric beliefs is the way to go.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    nice to see TSR likes a good old bit of segregation eh?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is. There should be a males only class too, though I don't know if there would be demand for that.

ReputationRep:
    Except on religious grounds they're unfair and sexist. Women are strong enough to not need their own special time to swim away from all the big evil men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyDemon)
    Earlier today I was having a swimming session at my local gym, I go there 3 times a week, today I went later than usual. I was there about half a hour when a female member of staff told me to get out, because there is women only now. I asked is for mothers or pregnant women, she said no. I don't understand why all men should get out when the pool is big enough for everyone. I told her that men just come here to excercise they're not interested in women and respect have to share the pool. So all the men had to get out even though none of were harming anyone.

Do think this is fair? Should I make a complaint? Just annoys me that still have much a gender divide over something silly as this.
    While the overreaching of some of the most self-righteous indulgences of some Feminists is problematic, it surely shouldn't take much imagination to work out why this isn't sexist.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think it's fine. Although would probably better to have a separate pool that's women's only.

And you're kidding if you think guys won't look at women. They're guys.

ReputationRep:
    As I said earlier, it's a business decision made by the centre on the premise of supply and demand. There are just as many men as there are women who would be uncomfortable about their body whilst swimming in front of members of the opposite sex there just isn't the same demand for segregation. If there was the same demand for a male only swim session as there was for female only swim sessions, the centres would jump on the idea as it would bring them more profit. There of examples of this in the modern world elsewhere, mainly in countries where a good portion of the population hold belief in religions that have teachings about gender segregation. Take Israel for example, there is a large proportion of the population of males who would like to spend the majority of their relaxation time away from the opposite sex, and so, it is profitable for companies who own stretches of beaches to separate them into male/female only sections. The same way other companies then make money out of those liberals in the country who want to go to a beach for both genders.

If there was enough demand in our country for male only swim sessions, they would be supplied, but there isn't, so they aren't. Meanwhile, there is enough demand for female only swim sessions, and so they are supplied. It's business, not equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Except on religious grounds they're unfair and sexist.
    Oh yeah, because such religions aren't unfair or sexist at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.