Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Genius problem solvers of TSR, I need YOU Watch

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Trying to upload/attach a picture, but it's not working for some reason.

I have two large rectangular windows that are covered with blinds. Then, over each window I can draw down a big black sheet that almost covers the dimensions of the window. The almost is very significant. Because through this thin gap, large amounts of light from a streetlamp situated directly outside the window pour into my room everynight and illuminate the room. It's starting to severely affect my sleeping.

Does anybody have a sensible, practical engineer solution to this problem? I tried pinning up a spare bedsheet/binliner, but the light still shines through it and it's not practical. Everytime I want to open my window I have to roll up the sheet and it's ugly/inconvenient and requires two bedsheets. I'm tired (from lack of sleep ) so I just can't think of what to do.

Any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Smash the streetlight
    I knew somebody would say this. The streetlamp is unusually tall for some reason, as far as the height of streetlamps go. I'm not a good enough shot to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Get larger blinds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Trying to upload/attach a picture, but it's not working for some reason.

I have two large rectangular windows that are covered with blinds. Then, over each window I can draw down a big black sheet that almost covers the dimensions of the window. The almost is very significant. Because through this thin gap, large amounts of light from a streetlamp situated directly outside the window pour into my room everynight and illuminate the room. It's starting to severely affect my sleeping.

Does anybody have a sensible, practical engineer solution to this problem? I tried pinning up a spare bedsheet/binliner, but the light still shines through it and it's not practical. Everytime I want to open my window I have to roll up the sheet and it's ugly/inconvenient and requires two bedsheets. I'm tired (from lack of sleep ) so I just can't think of what to do.

Any help appreciated.
    I believe Illuminati is the answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadJester)
    Get larger blinds
    I can't get larger blinds, they won't fit. The current blinds fit perfectly, but they just don't cover the whole window. The picture would really help explain what I mean by this

ReputationRep:
    Thick curtains that are wider than the windows and longer...

ReputationRep:
    Come on regular Chat posters, be helpful for once!

ReputationRep:
    I can't get larger blinds, they won't fit. The current blinds fit perfectly, but they just don't cover the whole window. The picture would really help explain what I mean by this
    Anything set within the alcove or whatever can only aim to fill the space as tightly as possible. Fix curtains above the alcove...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Thick curtains that are wider than the windows and longer...
    The landlord has refused permission to change the blinds/blackout cover thing.

Otherwise this is the solution I would of gone for. I was hoping for something a bit more...makeshift.

ReputationRep:
    Give in to the light, shun the dark side
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Does anybody have a sensible, practical engineer solution to this problem?
    You can ask the council to adjust the street lamp so it doesn't cause you a nuisance.

They will have a form online to fill in.

(And get larger blinds...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Anything set within the alcove or whatever can only aim to fill the space as tightly as possible. Fix curtains above the alcove...
    There is already a blackout sheet thing that rolls down, it's not wide enough and I'm not allowed to take it down and replace it with something larger.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wear an eye mask, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    The landlord has refused permission to change the blinds/blackout cover thing.

Otherwise this is the solution I would of gone for. I was hoping for something a bit more...makeshift.
    Explain the issue to him and offer to pay for the changes yourself and, if needed, fix the screw holes left if he wants it removed when you leave.

ReputationRep:
    do you sleep on a particular side?

ReputationRep:
    I think a sleep mask is a easy solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    Wear an eye mask, perhaps?
    Good suggestion, I really struggle to sleep with them on, but that's using cheap airline ones.

I've had a quick amazon search and found a premium eye mask that's got good reviews and apparently doesn't touch the eyes!

So at the moment, your solution wins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sernobrega)
    I think a sleep mask is a easy solution
    Genuinely hadn't thought of it. You can tell the lack of sleep is getting to me..

(Original post by CantGainWeight)
    I believe Illuminati is the answer
    :rofl:

Stack some books or something to fill the gap?

ReputationRep:
    We're going to need rope, duct tape and lots of Lime (fertiliser that dissolves flesh, not the fruit). Also some cable ties would be useful.

Meet me at central park 2200 hours tomorrow with the body.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.