Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

I find myself wondering a lot about the future, mostly about the job I will have after I leave university (hopefully!)
    My ambition is to become a CSI but, due to my naivety, I'm not sure about the best pathway into the career. My lecturer told me that a good way into the job is to get a job within the police force such as the Crime Investigation Unit, and then transfer internally once there is a vacancy.

Is there anyone out there who can spread a bit of clarity on this for me?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...meofficer.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Police experience will help, although some forces only recruit from their specials volunteers. Alternatively, you can look into a second degree with a forensics focus - even an FDA or Diploma that may only take 1 year will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Police experience will help, although some forces only recruit from their specials volunteers. Alternatively, you can look into a second degree with a forensics focus - even an FDA or Diploma that may only take 1 year will help.
    I'm doing a BSc at the moment in Forensic Investigation.

I'm only in first year so I will probably be prepped for this kind of stuff later, I'm just curious

Thanks for the reply though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sta_72)
    I'm doing a BSc at the moment in Forensic Investigation.

I'm only in first year so I will probably be prepped for this kind of stuff later, I'm just curious

Thanks for the reply though
    Ah well there you go. Also, don't be afraid to look into applying for positions further afield, internationally even. Even if the UK police force aren't recruiting when you graduate, doesn't mean there aren't possibilities in other countries too. I know a couple of british police officers who moved out to Australia for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Ah well there you go. Also, don't be afraid to look into applying for positions further afield, internationally even. Even if the UK police force aren't recruiting when you graduate, doesn't mean there aren't possibilities in other countries too. I know a couple of british police officers who moved out to Australia for example.
    Yeah you're right it's definitely a consideration.

Thanks for the advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.