The Student Room Group

Average GCSEs, good A-levels?

My GCSEs were quite average (AAAAAABBBC) because of not working hard enough, if I get all A's at AS and will be predict all A/A* would I still have any chance of getting into the top universities like Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, Wawrick, Edinburgh etc. Thanks :smile:
Original post by modnar
My GCSEs were quite average (AAAAAABBBC) because of not working hard enough, if I get all A's at AS and will be predict all A/A* would I still have any chance of getting into the top universities like Oxbridge, LSE, Durham, Wawrick, Edinburgh etc. Thanks :smile:

LOL thats totally me right now- tell you what, having bad predictions motivated me and now I could well be on track to get the best grades in my school despite my targets being only BBBB.
To answer your question- yes, there are people out there who have gotten in with much worse, and all you can do at the end of the day is you very best so don'r lose hope. ALSO, do make plans for a gap year, if you don;t get any good offers simply spend a year stacking shelves and apply with achieved a levels- you can't go wrong!
Original post by modnar

This may not be a very orthodox opinion, but some universities (ahem.. cambridge) love ums scores, so if you get 92 UMS+ on most of your exams, all that will stand between you and an offer is the interview. I have heard of people with perfect gcse records and 100 ums at AS who failed to get a place upon interview. A levels on oxbridge applications are exactly what they say; simply entry requirements. Just as a job might ask for microsoft office competence (im aware its not a great example), simply ticking boxes won't get you in immediately.
Reply 3
Original post by HedgehogsRulz
LOL thats totally me right now- tell you what, having bad predictions motivated me and now I could well be on track to get the best grades in my school despite my targets being only BBBB.
To answer your question- yes, there are people out there who have gotten in with much worse, and all you can do at the end of the day is you very best so don'r lose hope. ALSO, do make plans for a gap year, if you don;t get any good offers simply spend a year stacking shelves and apply with achieved a levels- you can't go wrong!

Haha thanks for the help, im glad some other people feel the same too! At school they've just really been focusing on all the people with straight As/A* for GCSE and sort of ignoring everyone else lol, i hope to prove them wrong this summer and do brilliantly! :biggrin: I hope the same happens to you too! :smile: My parents are also encouraging me to take a gap year if i don't get into where i want but I they want me to work or volunteer abroad or something which should be fun if i can get the money!
Reply 4
This may not be a very orthodox opinion, but some universities (ahem.. cambridge) love ums scores, so if you get 92 UMS+ on most of your exams, all that will stand between you and an offer is the interview. I have heard of people with perfect gcse records and 100 ums at AS who failed to get a place upon interview. A levels on oxbridge applications are exactly what they say; simply entry requirements. Just as a job might ask for microsoft office competence (im aware its not a great example), simply ticking boxes won't get you in immediately.

I have heard about how Cambridge love UMS a lot before so if i do well at AS will probably apply there over Oxford and hopefully get an interview! But I've also heard a lot about how they only accept people with 7+ A* at GCSE but it doesn't say anything about that on the website. I'm guessing its just because the people who usually do very well at A-level also did very well at GCSE. What are you thinking of applying for?
I got an average range for GCSE (A*A*AAABCC) and you can tell how I focused on some subjects more than others! I think that is what made the difference for AS (AAAB) and my predicted A2 (A*AA) because, whilst the work load is heavy having less subject really helps me organise my revision so I put hard work in all instead of just pretending that some didn't exist (sorry GCSE dance).
Original post by modnar
I have heard about how Cambridge love UMS a lot before so if i do well at AS will probably apply there over Oxford and hopefully get an interview! But I've also heard a lot about how they only accept people with 7+ A* at GCSE but it doesn't say anything about that on the website. I'm guessing its just because the people who usually do very well at A-level also did very well at GCSE. What are you thinking of applying for?

The 7A* rule is straight up bs, I think if you ask any admissions tutor they will laugh at you. I think it's one of those myths that just refuses to die ahaha. The official statistic is the AVERAGE oxford student has 6.2 A*s (source:
http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/uploads/Supporting%20Students%20-%20NI.pdf).
Clearly, there is a lot of wiggle room here, especially as you will get a huge chunk of the group that have 10+A*s, so at the other end of the spectrum there will be a lot of people with only 1/2A*s. Still, 80% of applicants are interviewed, therefore its much more important than gcses.

I am thinking of applying for Economics or Engineering, still undecided but I my first choice uni is UCL (my dream -or hallucination- would be to have an offer from cambridge and put them as my insurance- just for the banter huehue). What about you?
Reply 7
Original post by charlie-hh
I got an average range for GCSE (A*A*AAABCC) and you can tell how I focused on some subjects more than others! I think that is what made the difference for AS (AAAB) and my predicted A2 (A*AA) because, whilst the work load is heavy having less subject really helps me organise my revision so I put hard work in all instead of just pretending that some didn't exist (sorry GCSE dance).

Yeah it is much more enjoyable doing subjects you actually like for a-level! Have you applied to uni and got any offers yet? And well done on your grades for AS and A2 predictions! :biggrin:
Reply 8
The 7A* rule is straight up bs, I think if you ask any admissions tutor they will laugh at you. I think it's one of those myths that just refuses to die ahaha. The official statistic is the AVERAGE oxford student has 6.2 A*s (source:
http://www.stdominics.org.uk/media/uploads/Supporting%20Students%20-%20NI.pdf).
Clearly, there is a lot of wiggle room here, especially as you will get a huge chunk of the group that have 10+A*s, so at the other end of the spectrum there will be a lot of people with only 1/2A*s. Still, 80% of applicants are interviewed, therefore its much more important than gcses.

I am thinking of applying for Economics or Engineering, still undecided but I my first choice uni is UCL (my dream -or hallucination- would be to have an offer from cambridge and put them as my insurance- just for the banter huehue). What about you?

Haha :biggrin: i would have liked to do economics but didn't do maths so can't any more so I'm thinking maybe history, geography, archaeology, philosophy, theology. I'm not really sure though, too much choice haha
Original post by modnar
Yeah it is much more enjoyable doing subjects you actually like for a-level! Have you applied to uni and got any offers yet? And well done on your grades for AS and A2 predictions! :biggrin:

Thank you! I've applied, auditioned and firmed a place at Bath Spa for their Acting course. The offer is 320 ucas points so not easy but not impossible, I find that it's really good motivation to keep the work up because I'm so ready for the Uni course and A2 feels like one last hurdle!

What offers have you had/what subject do you want to do? :h:
Reply 10
Original post by charlie-hh
Thank you! I've applied, auditioned and firmed a place at Bath Spa for their Acting course. The offer is 320 ucas points so not easy but not impossible, I find that it's really good motivation to keep the work up because I'm so ready for the Uni course and A2 feels like one last hurdle!

What offers have you had/what subject do you want to do? :h:

That sounds quite interesting and fun! I've always loved the idea of acting but have never had the confidence! Im still in year 12 so haven't applied anywhere yet but am hoping maybe cambridge if my AS results are good enough but I'm not sure what for yet but am leaning towards archeology, history or geography! Good luck with getting your ucas points, I'm sure you can do it! :u:
Original post by modnar
That sounds quite interesting and fun! I've always loved the idea of acting but have never had the confidence! Im still in year 12 so haven't applied anywhere yet but am hoping maybe cambridge if my AS results are good enough but I'm not sure what for yet but am leaning towards archeology, history or geography! Good luck with getting your ucas points, I'm sure you can do it! :u:

Hello there fellow Stormtrooper. I see you like Archaeology and History as well. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Edminzodo
Hello there fellow Stormtrooper. I see you like Archaeology and History as well. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! what a coincidence to find two stormtroopers who like archeology and history! i always thought they'd be more into english :cool:
It really does depend on the university. A lot are now asking that you have at least a A/B in English and Maths. The majority look at your predictions for A levels but I know some take GCSE into consideration if they need to decide between 2 candidates, but there are other variables. Your GCSE's are good, you'll have no problem :smile:
Good luck :h:
Reply 14
Original post by LadyEcliptic
It really does depend on the university. A lot are now asking that you have at least a A/B in English and Maths. The majority look at your predictions for A levels but I know some take GCSE into consideration if they need to decide between 2 candidates, but there are other variables. Your GCSE's are good, you'll have no problem :smile:
Good luck :h:

Thanks! I have A/B in English and Maths. My C is in Spanish and I'm not wanting to do anything language related at all so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem if i can get high UMS this year! :h: And good luck to you too in whatever you're doing haha
Original post by modnar
Hello! what a coincidence to find two stormtroopers who like archeology and history! i always thought they'd be more into english :cool:

I do English! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest